Gambusia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Butch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Anyone one kept albino or golden gambusia? Also anyone kept Innes gambusia (both sexes are melanistic and are hybrid of western and eastern gambusia). Just wondering because I've been looking for them.

Their are a few Innes gamgusia in the UK. Cant remember who borough them over may of been Duncan but the colour on the females are stunning.

I also have seen a couple come in with guppies in imports but their very rare

This is a true motteled holbrooki and not the cross which was taken by Derek Lambert.
g_holbrooki.jpg

However never seen any albino of any species of Gambusia

I found the Innes gambusia! They were free and the owner gave them to me. Also he gave some of his albino gambusia which they look stunning. Now I have lots of colors in gambusia tank. Grey, albino and melanistic. But no luck with golden gambusia....darn.

most of the dalmation gambusia that I've seen are hybrids. There is one species of gambusia from Texas that is now classified. They were protected before because they were unclassified and were only found in 1 ditch, but nowthey must be very abundant because they are being sold. Gambusia rhizophorae. The males have a gonopodium that is shiny and reflects light. (like the scales of shiny fish) There are some being sold on aquabid right now.

Currently i have Gambusia eurystoma which as far as i sure I'm one of only 2-3 people in the UK to be maintaining.

Meepster the gambusia your on about, I belive Duncan has been out there to see them last year some time and they was still protected then.

Hi Guys,

Gambusia are my favourite species of livebearers, I think they are great.

At the moment I have quite a few species, alvarezi, holbrooki (melanistic form), affinis, sexradiata, punctata, puncticulata and a few different unidenitified species from El Toboso, Media Luna and Rio Purificacion in Mexico.

Just a couple of points regarding preceding posts; firstly Innes Gambusia are a hybrid of holbrooki and affinis; produced by Mike Innes (I think his name); they are particularly cold tolerant apparently and both the male and female are melanistic (spotty); with holbrooki, only the males are melanistic.

There are plenty of different species of Gambusia in Texas and many of them are rare and endangered. Nobilis and Gaigei are probably the most endangered species and Gaigei in particular were rescued from a particularly precarious position of one trio. Many other species are already extinct, including geiseri. Other species such as affinis are thriving and threatening the other species which are also being threatened by the drying up of springs and the loss of habitats to man. Recently a new species, clarkhubbsi has been discovered. To my knowledge, rhizophorae is not found in Texas, they are known as Mangrove Gambusia and comes from Florida and Cuba, not Texas.

Butch, are you saying that you have one tank of Gambusias? With lots of different species in it?

Finally for now, go careful when classifying Gambusia, many of them look extremely similar and there is alot of bad classification around. You really need to be sure to get them from reliable sources. I only now get them from one or two people and the wild as I have been stung a few times before.

I only kept female gambusia separated from males of gambusia to avoid crossbreeding. I only have Western, Innes, Albino, Eastern and Gambusia vittatus.

However, the melanistic females does existed in eastern gambusia population in Florida panhandle, they just were not common than Innes and they does not breed true.

The female in the pic i posted befor was taken by Derek Lambers back in the mid 90's, the fish is a holbrooki female showing the motteled colouration and is not a cross breed.

I still think this mottled female you posted is mostly likely be cross between two species, Eastern and Western because many people bred the female western to the male eastern because they can't tell which species they have so they go ahead breed grey "eastern" female to melanistic male. Normal colored eastern and western look similar expect the males's special fins. Melanistic females does not exisit unless the eastern cross with other different species to remove the male only melanistic genes and become into melanistic gene in both sexes.

I dont know the history of the fish, and as Derek died 3 years back we'll never know. But Derek travelled the world collecting most fish he wanted and visiting other collectors and breeders.

But the photo was stated to be a female holbrooki which the mottled dose show now and then.

The life of fish were full of mysteries...we will never know all of the fishes secrets but we will uncovering them.

Anyways do you guys has Tomeurus gracilis? This fish is poecilied, has gonodopium but lay eggs...you know?

Sure they was at the last BLA auction. Duncan may remember or ever have them ;)

Yes your correct about them laying eggs, their in the family Poeciliidae and the males fertalises in the same as all other livebearers, how ever several days later the female then lays individual eggs on aquatic plants or mops.

Sure they was at the last BLA auction. Duncan may remember or ever have them ;)

Yes your correct about them laying eggs, their in the family Poeciliidae and the males fertalises in the same as all other livebearers, how ever several days later the female then lays individual eggs on aquatic plants or mops.

They weren't at the BLA auction, I have never seen them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back