Fungus Attack!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

123justin

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a number of different species of fish in my freshwater tank.

One of then, a Guppy, is getting a fungus patch on its back. It's white, slightly hairy lookin, and kinda making the scales pop out.

I bought some "Pimafix" and am wondering if its bad to treat the whole tank wih the other fish in it?

Because I don't have a hospital tank so this might be my only option. I'm just wondering if my other fish would be negatively affected.

Ok, there are two different things it can be, either fungus OR columnaries. My bet would be on the columnaries, simply because it is be alot more common. Columnaries can be VERY agressive, I have lost two bettas two out of the five bettas I bought from this.

You NEED to seperate this fish. If you can't afford an isolation tank, any large, clean container will work. Treat this disease with antibiotics, which should be avaliable at your LPS. Also, if your fish can handle it, add some aquarium salt to their tank and give salt baths if possible. I've never dealt with this in a community tank, but I am assuming they should be treated as well, simply because I have seen columnaries survive within the tank and its decorations.

You should turn your heater down, to as low as you can safely do so with your fish, as this disease thrives in warmer water.

Good luck!

tttn is right. A quarantine tank (or container) is your best option. Since its a betta, one of those small 1 1/2-2 (approx.) gallon acrylic deals for about 11.00 or even an clean, never before used bucket will work. As tttn said, a salt dip or bath would be the best way to go. Use the pimafix according to directions. Pimafix is good, but if that doesn't work, medecines fromt he mardell company are excellent. It does sound familiarly like columnaris, but you said the scales are popping out, which could be indicative of another illness. I can't remember the name right now, but I will check tomorrow and get back to you. Peace.

Oh man, after 2 days of noticing one of the Guppys had this "white, hairy like, scale popping out fungus" type disease, he died.

I think I'll invest in a small hospital tank. I thought the Pimafix would work, I put in the amount for a 20gallon tank too.

Well, at least the other fish seem to be ok.

Thanx for the help guys, always appreciated.

Most reactions

Back