Fundulopanchax Gardneri

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Munroco

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hes about 2 years old now so thought I'd better get some pics. I had 18 of these at one time but they are down to 7 now. There are 3 males but he is the dominant one and his colours are so much more vivid.

Attachments

• gardneri.jpg
    gardneri.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 298
They look quite similar, I have some peacock gobies in the same tank, they are slightly smaller. Killies tend to swim near the top, gobies are more bottom to middle.

Lights are off for the night now, I'll try to get a pic of them together tomorrow

Killies. That's the word. Killifish are cool I've been considering getting some. I'd want a really colorful strain though.

You can buy eggs from Ebay and hatch them out yourself. The males are the colourful ones, the females tend to be fairly drab

You can buy eggs from Ebay and hatch them out yourself. The males are the colourful ones, the females tend to be fairly drab
What?? You can BUY killifish eggs? Are you kidding me?

I'm going to go do that right now. I've got lots of cycled tanks waiting for stock. Would killis do well in a 10 gallon? I have a 20 gallon, 20 gallon long, and a 55 gallon I could put them all in.

the 55 gallon I have is pretty bare and just has some sponge filters on it, I intended to put a trio of guppies and some shrimp in there and wait 6 months and let them reproduce and have a colony then sell the colony. Are killifish profitable fish?

I don't know about your area but my LFS often has Killies and the sell slowly. Mine spawn regularly but there seems little point in saving the eggs if I wouldn't be able to shift the fry. Find out your water stats, there are killies that prefer softer water ie Fundulopanchax sp. and species for harder water such as Roloffia sp. a 10 gallon would be a bit small as they are fairly active fish.

I don't know about your area but my LFS often has Killies and the sell slowly. Mine spawn regularly but there seems little point in saving the eggs if I wouldn't be able to shift the fry. Find out your water stats, there are killies that prefer softer water ie Fundulopanchax sp. and species for harder water such as Roloffia sp. a 10 gallon would be a bit small as they are fairly active fish.
I've got a tank with pretty low pH of 6.6 and one of 7.5. I could make either one harder in pH I've got some rocks I use for that.

All these eggs come from out of the country. (for me at least). I'm in US and if I bought these they would be coming from another country. Do you think they would make it?

Also are th ere any species/strains to watch out for? Or are there any to look out for? I just want to get something REALLY colorful.

These 3 you mention would all be better suited in your 7.5ph tank. I'm surprised there aren't any in US for sale as there are loads on UK Ebay, but I don't see any problem buying from another country, the eggs are dry anyway so it doesn't matter if it takes a while for parcel to arrive. As long as they dont have to go through extremes of temperature they should be ok.

I don't know how good aquabid is but there are eggs for sale on that.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll checkout aquabid but it's too much work with transhippers and all that junk.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back