The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What species do you believe these fry to potentially be?

• Beckfords Pencilfish

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Hockeystick Pencilfish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lampeyes

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I found the following fry in my Juwel Vision 180L! I initially spotted one dart in amongst the Ricca Fluitans so managed to capture it with the force from submerging a jug. Then with much patience, spotted a second. They were moved to the fry tank...then I had isolated a sick lamp eye, and noticed a couple of days later there was another fry in the isolation chamber, so now there are three :)

These were so tiny that I cannot believe I saw them, so please guess what the fry might be from the potential choices:

image_zpswpco561q.jpeg

More about my favourite tank can be found here, with new images added today (hopefully)...
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/416184-new-project-juwel-vision-180-planted-journal/

Whatever these are, they are fast growers, so may assist in making a guess...I will hope to add further images as they mature.

Any ideas yet? I know its been 3 days since but I'm impatient :)

Yeah I know now, so cute and amazing, do you want a picture or shall I just tell you? ;)
Oh, and tell me why did you think these were Lampeyes?

Picture please! :)
I thought it was a lampeye because of the greenish hue about it.
Oh BTW, the snails you sent me, I have a baby rabbit snail among the midst of MTS.
its in the main aquarium now and doing well! :) Bonus
thanks.gif

Wow amazing that you saw a blue hue...your wish is my command, although not easy to photograph, hopefully you can see the cute little fella for what he is ...image.jpeg

A baby rabbit snail, it must have been a new born for me to have missed it! You lucky person, as I would not have let him go if I had seen him for sure. They are great fun, have you had them before? I have a fair few now, although very slow breeders.

Aw, well there's the classic light above the eye!! so cute!! lets hope they breed again then you wont have to go out of your way to find a good batch of them.

Ive never had rabbit snails before, I am glad you missed him
wink.png

I have had lava snails before and they were great, but only breed in brackish water.
Its only about 0.5 cm long and a great addition to the aquarium!

Overnight the three Lampeye fry were released into the main tank. Last week I had bagged them up, along with a separate bag for the Celeste Danio (CD) fry, thinking they were large enough for release. The CD was fine to release and is in a different species only tank, however I felt the Lampeyes were at risk from the Pencilfish in the main tank. I thus placed them in a net breeder for a week for further growth. They were funny as they wanted to get out to school with the others, and I often observed them have a little fight between themselves.

So here they are in the large tank...image.jpeg
...you can see them in the top right with the adults in the bottom left.

Here is one of them looking at you :) image.jpeg

Very cute!
they grew up so fast.

Indeed they did. I think they have been the fastest growing fry I have had!

Sad news, six little eyes became four then two :(. I am hoping they are hiding somewhere but not convinced, I thought they were big enough to survive with the other fish, here's hoping.

Oh no!
I'm always trying to think of ways of keeping my fry safe, its stocked with plants and all sorts but they get picked off sadly.
Hopefully they are hiding somewhere? fingers crossed for the little mites x

Indeed. The tank is the Juwel in the link in my signature, so very heavily planted. I have found that although I had read the lampeyes do not like a current, they all love swimming against the spray bar, this was where the three fry hung ou as well :(

Sorry to hear about your little ones. :(

I've found that mine like to swim against the current too, although I think I read a while ago that they like some current, I can't remember where. Also, as I said in the other thread, they keep hanging around in the Java moss and chasing other fish away. This piece of moss has attached itself to the filter just under the outlet! Curious...

Also, as in the other thread, I have my newly acquired babies in a breeding box until they're a bit bigger. This is because I have an apisto in the main tank who would quickly spot the little ones! I have sadly discovered this the hard way :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back