Fry Rubbing On Gravel

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Well I lost him ): didn't think he would make it but he died about an hour ago. I guess it's expected. Can't save them all and I need to let mother nature weed out the bad ones.

as your females age you will get more deformed fry - it's what happened with all my live bearers. As the mum's got old the fry quality fell dramaticly. I had fry that wouldn't uncurl their tails are birth. I had a lot with bend spines and tails. I would catch them and release them to the main tank and let them be eaten. It was kinder than allowing them to live as they were. It's the harsh reality of breeding. The survival of the fittest I suppose 
Dunno.gif

There are a lot of angelfish breeders who actively destroy and cull any angelfish fry with even the smallest deformity. In some respects they are stopping these fish from hitting the trade and potentially exposing an inherited deformity to the breeding program, but in another respect it does seem very cruel. One of my angels has a deformed fin, I never noticed it when I bought him - he was too small - but as he grew I spotted it. It doesn't stop him from living a normal life and so to me, it doesn't matter, but to a serious breeder ... well he either wouldn't of been allowed to survive and certainly wouldn't be allowed to breed. Sad really :(

It is very sad. I hate that! I want all of them to survive and be loved just like I love them. I think I might have a couple more that are struggling but they're swimming and eating still. A couple of runts. They're really small so I'll keep an eye on them.

This morning I woke up to my female no longer pregnant as well and no fry either. So she either aborted them or her and the bigger fry had a feast lol didn't think she would go this early. I'm leaning towards a feast. Maybe a couple will come out of hiding though now that she's gone.

Well never Mind. I always jump to conclusions, I found 4 lol. 4 survivors. :) happy day!

yey! glad you found some survivors :D

Most reactions

Back