Frogs?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Psycheout

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have had a simple Goldfish pond for about a year, with about 10-15 goldfish, who are breeding there as well, it's about 6ft x 6ft, though it has been invaded by about 100 frogs who have decided to make it their home, will they pollute the water or eat my goldfish or something, and if they are a bad thing how should I look to get rid of them :thumbs:

I don't think frogs will hurt your pond, infact i think its a good thing what with their habitat disapearing, i'm quite sure they wont eat your fish :)

either the frogs are huge or your goldies are tiny.

i wouldn't worry about it, so long as the fish headcount doesn't start shrinking. it should be fine and the frog eggs/tadpoles will make an excellent dietary supplement for your fish.

The only thing to be concerned about is during the mating season of the frogs.
If a male fails to latch onto a female frog he will latch onto a fish. They often drown the fish as it can not open it's gills.
It is a hard job to pry a frog off a fish as their grip is suprisingly strong, but with care it is possible to save both the fish and the frog.
Hopefully this won't happen to you, but you need to be aware that it can
I speak from personal experiance.

What kind of frogs? I've seen bullfrogs the size of dinner plates, so if your goldfish are small, that could be a problem. Though they way you say they just suddenly invaded your pond I'm thinking they could be toads, as frogs usually don't just suddenly appear in such large numbers...

I dunno, i'm not an expert on frogs, i'll try to get some pics up within 24 hours, it's too dark now though, the frogs are pretty big, but my fish are quite big too

so the fish eat the frogspawn lol, the frogs have just started mating now

My nan used to do everything to try to get frogs in her pond... She went out and bought frogspawn and raised them in a bucket, but none stayed.... The only non-fish things in her pond were two HUGE spiders (they lived in the gap in the concrete).

Most reactions

Back