Found Two Teeny, Tiny Snails In My Tank (ramshorn?)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lazerus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

While looking in my 10gal Betta tank, I was amazed to see, after all this time, two small water snails.

Here's a pic...
Snails-1.jpg

They both have a Discoidal shell ( like a flat, round roll of salami! :shifty: ) and they have no colourings just yet as they quite transparent. They are really tiny at the moment, but I'm wondering will they grow big?

I'm wondering what type of snail are they? I've looked up some pics on the web and they possibly could be Ramshorn snails? But I'm not sure.

They must have come in with a shipment of Riccia that I got some weeks ago off Ebay, probably as eggs.

I'm not bothered by them, but is there any reason why I should be removing these guys while they are still manageable?

I might be putting cories in the tank sometime in the future along with my male Betta. Anyone foresee any problems with these snails cohabiting with those fish?

Thanks! :good:

Totally up to you. Its just aesthetics. Those type will multiply to match the number of pieces of gravel in your tank if they find enough food (hopefully they would not, Laz :lol: )

I remember crushing tons of those for my fish to eat when I was a kid, drove me crazy. Back then I didn't know the trick of veggies on a plate overnight to collect a lot of them for removal!

~~waterdrop~~

Fair enough...a sure I'll leave them so. I'll see what they get up to.

They don't bother me at all, so live and let live, eh!

I use my pest snails as food for the Corydoras!

Squish em and put them on the gravel! They love em and it introduces variety into their diet!

I was going to use chemicals at one point as I was getting fed up of them but now they're a nice source of food occasionally.

Also thinking of getting an Assassin Snail to munch on them too!

Snails can be a pest, like algae, where you need to do any number of things over time to continue to keep the problem at bay. Some people weight down a piece of lettuce on a teacup saucer and set it on the substrate overnight. The snails, if you're lucky, will want to eat the lettuce and a lot of them will be all over it in the morning. As you slowly lift the saucer out of the tank, the snails are caught by the plate when they fall off the lettuce from the water movement, that way you still get more of them out. Don't put them in the kitchen trash as they'll crawl out!

~~waterdrop~~

Oooh! Very interesting! and I'll be on the look out for small aqua-snail in the kitchen... "No love! They must have come through that closed window in the night!" :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back