Found These Parts Want To Make Something Out Of Them?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

goldfinger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score

Any suggestions? I wanted to make a skimmer of sorts as I have bio film on the surface so is there anyway of setting something simple?
I have a very old tetra air pump that I use in an emergency tank so can use that into the mix?

You should be able to put the sponge on the middle piece and attach that to the side of the tank, near the surface.

It'll give you some extra filtration, and some surface disturbance, that should sort out your surface film
smile.png

I also have some kind of protein film that can be seen when the water level goes down or when I use my algae brush at the top of my tank, could I benefit from a protein skimmer? 

fluttermoth said:
You should be able to put the sponge on the middle piece and attach that to the side of the tank, near the surface.

It'll give you some extra filtration, and some surface disturbance, that should sort out your surface film
smile.png
It can only help!

Antinerf said:
I also have some kind of protein film that can be seen when the water level goes down or when I use my algae brush at the top of my tank, could I benefit from a protein skimmer? 
TBF if you have enough agitation on the surface via a spray bar you can pretty well slowly get rid of the oil I wanted more flow down to the plants and found when the surface is very still it accumulates quicker with a oily bio film from the food pellets especially the Hinari micro pellets, flake food and Tetra Gold all of them have some kind of reconstituted oils in them.

You can make a protein skimmer from plastic bottles and an air stone not disimular to my bio filter.
Only thing I need to work out is the height of the sponge so its just enough still to draw water and from the surface. 
You should see Two tanks admin's discussion on Mattenfilter built in sponge in a corner with a little overflow drawing in surface film then a pump mid way pumps the filtered water back. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back