Football 2009/10 Season Talk

Hi Aaron, not meaning to step on anyones toes, but I was thinking of using the official league (plus, I've already done my team lol)

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

I have no probs setting up a league and putting the code in a new thread, we could start from gameweek 3 and have 36 rounds instead of 38. Don't know how many ppl will join or anything, but its worth a shot and only take couple of mins to set-up..Will start a new thread to guage interest...

Hi Aaron, not meaning to step on anyones toes, but I was thinking of using the official league (plus, I've already done my team lol)

[URL="http://fantasy.premierleague.com/"]http://fantasy.premierleague.com/[/URL]

I have no probs setting up a league and putting the code in a new thread, we could start from gameweek 3 and have 36 rounds instead of 38. Don't know how many ppl will join or anything, but its worth a shot and only take couple of mins to set-up..Will start a new thread to guage interest...

doesnt matter, just doing a bit of advertising for him thats all ;)

should be good fun if we get a few people :good:

[URL="http://fantasy.premierleague.com/"]http://fantasy.premierleague.com/[/URL]

I'm up for that :good:

I'm in about 6 other fantasy leagues too lol.

I think anyone finishing above Chelsea this season will be champions mainly because they are the team who have been weakened least.

Fortunately I think Liverpool will be above Chelsea. :blink:

No, I'm not mad. Yes Alonso has gone, but it's funny how he's gone from a rarely mentioned player by fans, opposing fans and the media to the most important player in the team. We are a one man team according to most of the media, without Gerrard we are nothing, well without Gerrard and Torres and now Alonso too. So we were a 3 man team :rolleyes:

I'm also aware that the performance on Sunday was aweful, but it had naff all to do with Alonso missing, it was purely a shocking all round team performance. It wasn't quite as bad as the Middlesborough performance last year and Alonso played in that game so...... All people are talking about is how we would suffer without Torres or Gerrard this season, conveniently forgetting they only played together 14 times last season, so if they play together for more games than they did last season we'll be more dangerous.

Manyoo have lost the man who scored about a third of their goals over the last 2 years along with the work rate of Tevez. I do think Owen will be a good signing there and I'm a bit pissed that Rafa didn't even bother going for him, especially after he said he'd have taken a massive paycut to come home.

Arsenal have a talented squad, but still lack the steel they lacked last season and the loss of Adebayor and Toure have made them weaker even if Arshavin and Eduardo are back fit.

Chelsea are the pretty much the same team who finished 3rd last season with very little changes, if Ancelloti has a bad run he could go the same way as Scolari.

I do think it will finish:

Liverpool
Chelsea
Manyoo
Arsenal
Spurs
City

I agree whoever finishes above Chelsea will win the league. BUT

Chelsea may be the least weakened but they have an ageing squad, a lot are almost 30 or 30+. Essien will be their most important player this season and my feeling is they'll suffer if they are still involved in all competitions towards the end of the season (i.e. like what happened to Leverkusen). Plus imo Arsenal, Utd and Pool are all well capable of beating them.

Arsenal are the ones to watch, 2 years ago they were leading from the beginning until it all went horribly wrong at Birmingham. Last year they started poorly, this year they've started with a bang. They are better without Adebayor and Toure who were both negative influences in the dressing rooms, Bendter and Vermaelen imo are more the adequate replacements. Plus this year expect to see more of Vela, Ramsey, Wilshere, Traore etc. Like Chelsea, everyone is a year older but Arsenal are likely to be better players and better team then last year.

How can Liverpool without their best player of last season (imo) improve on last years points total? Aquilani isnt a direct replacement, more of a Lampard type player...Plus, if Torres gets injured, 30% of their goals are gone, as they have no-one anywhere near his ability to replace him. I think Pool have a battle on their hands this season for top 4.

United have lost two big players, altho Tevez as much as he ran, produced very little. The team centred around Ronaldo, Rooney used to shift left, Berba never got involved, Tevez ran round like headless chicken. Every opposition knew exactly what Utd would try to do, Utd's game became predictable, plus Ronaldo was ever increasingly used as a striker, which was to Utd's disadvantage as he cannot link play, he isn't the most intelligent of footballers. Anyway, he will be missed and cannot be replaced, but Utd will play differently, more of a team...the motivation will be there too...the world thinks CR7 won them the titles, they have to prove it wasnt him but them.

Anyway, very difficult to predict how the top 4 will look..I think it will be close between all 4 and Citeh could even show up. Citeh wil have problems tho, 4 international class strikers, no european football, whose gna throw their toys outta their pram first???? Tevez leaves Utd cos he's sub to go to Citeh where he's sub lol

How can Liverpool without their best player of last season (imo) improve on last years points total?

If Alonso was the best player of last season (and he wasn't by the way) it would only be because Torres and Gerrard missed games. As it is with his record ever goal return the player of the season as voted for by Liverpool fans was Gerrard who also won the football writers player of the year for the league. Alonso is only put on such a high pedestal now because he's left. Don't get me wrong, I like Alonso and I was delighted we kept him and didn't get Barry and I believe we are slightly weakened without him, for now!

Aquilani isnt a direct replacement, more of a Lampard type player...

He's meant to be more attacking, something that the press and bandwagon supporters seem to think Liverpool need. He's supposedly capable of playing much higher up the pitch if needed meaning he can be a stand in for Gerrard if needed. Either way if he scores more goals than Alonso did, it could be the extra step needed particularly against teams who are parking the bus.

Plus, if Torres gets injured, 30% of their goals are gone, as they have no-one anywhere near his ability to replace him.

He did get injured last season and we did OK without him. A strange fact is that Torres started in 7 of the 11 draws we had last season, yet the readers of red top papers seem to think his absence was the reason for all the draws! :S Oddly we were the highest scorers in the league despite the best duo in the business only appearing together in 14 of 38 games, we'll be devastating if they play 28 or more games together.

It seems nearly everyone is writing Liverpool off on the basis of what will happen if Gerrard or Torres get injured, just imagine what will happen if they don't get injured this season. :huh:

It's funny though that nobody seems to realise that the same applies to the top scorer of every team.

I think Pool have a battle on their hands this season for top 4.

Again :rolleyes: The Arsenal and Villa fans were saying that last season too :lol: In fact we've only finished below Arsenal once in the last 4 seasons, yet Arsenal seem to be under the illusion they've done much better. We also finished behind them in 2005 when we finished 5th, but then we did with the European cup that year so I can live with that.

But I like the way Arsenal play, I'd be delighted if they were runners up to us :D

Personally, I have always liked Alonso, even when he was at Sociedad. I love Spanish football, the intelligence of it, the style, the midfielders especially e.g. Xavi, Cazorla, Silva, Iniesta, Fabregas. Last year, I thought Alonso was outstanding, and imo this was because he had something to prove (the whole Barry situation). His level of performance jumped massively last season. Alonso, was Pool's playmaker, and knew the way his team played. Neither Lucas or Mashcherano are in the same bracket of ability. That's why for this reason, I believe Liverpool could struggle this season to replace him. If they had bought Barry, then they would be my joint favourites with Chelsea, as being English (no adaptation period), good linkup with Gerrard should have seen him as a direct replacement.

Re - Torres, you are right, its like saying that Ronaldo leaving means that's 30% of Uniteds goals gone, when in reality it means more chances for others, or at the very least a different style of play, unless they play like the did last night. I think it was statistically proven last season that Utd lost more games without Rooney then they did without Ronaldo.

I'd like to chime in at this point with a very sage and astute point....

Man Utd 0 - Burnley 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Liverpool looked pretty good last night, was impressed with Johnson and he seems to be making quite an effective partnership with Kuyt down the right, moving inwards when Johnson storms down the flank.

Was even more impressed with Torres staying on the pitch with 9 staples over his eye. Hope this wont affect his cofindence when going in for future 50/50 headers.

I'd like to chime in at this point with a very sage and astute point....

Man Utd 0 - Burnley 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Liverpool looked pretty good last night, was impressed with Johnson and he seems to be making quite an effective partnership with Kuyt down the right, moving inwards when Johnson storms down the flank.

Was even more impressed with Torres staying on the pitch with 9 staples over his eye. Hope this wont affect his cofindence when going in for future 50/50 headers.

The result was actually Burnley 1 - Utd 0...same score, but different result, in that it never took place at OT...but all the same, terrible result and watching the game only decent Utd player was Giggs who at 35 was running harder then anyone else in the team. What was amusing was O'Shea's comments before the game, about how they were gna destroy Burnley..hmm methinks he needs to talk less...

Reet I really am not bothered by the top 5, just want to stay up this time oh yea and thrash the pants off of Birmingham :p

wolves2.gif

Been through t' mill with this team. 13 yrs ago next week I had my 18th Birthday Party at the Molineux, with a Wolves cake the lot, makes me quite nostalgic I can tell you.

Did rubbish in t' first game but pulled it back against Wigan, our first away win in over 30 away matches in top flight football (last time in premiership we did not win away, just lost or drew) Thats gotta be a good sign.

Man City could be a problem, not looking forwad to that. Fingers are well and truly crossed. :S

Ahh well....3 games...3 wins...12 goals so much for Arsenal crisis...we ook the best team in the league right now.

Well whos playing better? I dont think Man Utd or Liverpools squad is better than ours at all....Utd lost vital players and never replaced them as have Liverpool.....Chelsea are always strong and city look boring and weak.

Villa are goign to be extremely weak at the back now after losing Barry and Laurson and not replacing them.

We replaced Toure with a much better defender in Vermaelen....younger,bigger,better in the air.

Adebayor isent needed in the way we play now with 3 forwards.....and Eduardo is just plain sick!

Theres no better team in England right now....aslong as our form stays like this we will be great.

Knowing my team they will drop form and gets loads of injurys and we will screw up.

Still whatever happens we could of scored 10 against Everton and RVP and Arshavin,Eduardo + Vermaelen all were close to scoring today.

4-3-3 is the difference man, 4-4-2 with a lazy Adebayor and incosistent Toure and a injured RVP was our issue,We are unbeaten sicne we signed Arshavin also ;) and that was last January :)

Most reactions

Back