Food For Large Flowerhorns ?

hamfist

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just looking for food ideas for my 9" flowerhorn.

he has a good appetite for various pellets and bloodworm so far (only had him 4 days so far). He has rejected shelled frozen peas, and freeze dried mealworms so far. He ate one frozen cockle, but wanted no more after.

I want to get him some worms too when I can. Any further suggestions for food (including the wierd and wonderful) that I can try to give him as much variety as possible in his diet ?

Have you tried live bloodword? Or anything live for that matter, one thing definately worth a shout at trying would be fresh water shrimp. You can get near enough a hundred of them ofr a couple quid in most decent LFS. They REALLY get my fish going, i tried them the other day :)

Have you tried live bloodword? Or anything live for that matter, one thing definately worth a shout at trying would be fresh water shrimp. You can get near enough a hundred of them ofr a couple quid in most decent LFS. They REALLY get my fish going, i tried them the other day :)

Unfortunately the only things I'm not prepared to try are live freshwater aquatic animals, as I am too concerned about introducing disease with them.
On the other hand, any other live food which does not live naturally in freshwater will not have any disease organisms which are a risk to freshwater fish, so that sort of food would be OK.

Unfortunately the only things I'm not prepared to try are live freshwater aquatic animals, as I am too concerned about introducing disease with them.
On the other hand, any other live food which does not live naturally in freshwater will not have any disease organisms which are a risk to freshwater fish, so that sort of food would be OK.

Yup I totally agree, livefoods sold in those little bags are basically disease factories and should never be fed to aquarium fish.

I find flowerhorns like most large cichlids are not particularly fussy eaters. I fed mine hikiri cichlid gold pellets, frozen bloodworm, chopped prawn/mussel/squid and to bulk them up a bit some beefheart(best not fed too often). Feeding prawns and beefheart will quickly buld them up as they will literally stuff themselves with it.

I'm finding he is a very good eater, although has very specific ideas about what he will or will not eat.
He loves all types of dried food. Floating, sinking, flake, pellet, wafers, tablets, whatever, he'll eat it with gusto.
Success with other stuff includes prawn, cockle and frozen bloodworm. He has completely rejected earthworms, both live and wiggling, or chopped. Also has completely rejected mealworms. I have tried to sneak him a little bit of both of these, but he knows instantly that I am trying to deceive him and ignores it.

So, anyway I am pretty happy with the general variety of his diet, so far. I am also getting enough fibre into his diet via veggie pellets. It's all good news !

I'm finding he is a very good eater, although has very specific ideas about what he will or will not eat.
He loves all types of dried food. Floating, sinking, flake, pellet, wafers, tablets, whatever, he'll eat it with gusto.
Success with other stuff includes prawn, cockle and frozen bloodworm. He has completely rejected earthworms, both live and wiggling, or chopped. Also has completely rejected mealworms. I have tried to sneak him a little bit of both of these, but he knows instantly that I am trying to deceive him and ignores it.

So, anyway I am pretty happy with the general variety of his diet, so far. I am also getting enough fibre into his diet via veggie pellets. It's all good news !

There's a new food on the market now which might give you a hand.
Tetra Natura.

Most reactions

Back