Fluval Roma 240 Vs Juwel Rio 240

DBT85

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Coulsdon, Croydon, London, England, Earth, ZZ9 Plu
Another comparison thread from the newb sorry!

Ok, I have quoted prices for two tanks and cabs from a couple of LFS. One is for the Juwel Rio and one for the Fluval Roma and both are cheaper than I can find online!

Rio 240 - £395
Roma 240 - £366 (usually £440 but they have 20% off until Sunday)

Now, both come with heaters and filters which I do not need so I'll be selling both if I can to recoup a bit of that cost.

The only real difference between the two as far as I can tell is that the Roma has pre drilled holes for the filter since it comes with an external 305, and that the Roma uses T8 bulbs while the Rio uses T5 bulbs.

Since I plan on having live plants in my tank I get the impression that the T5 would be better with the higher light output with the Rio putting out 108w and the Roma just 80w.

The T5 light unit is £90 on its own so I can't help but think that paying just £30 more makes the Juwel the better option for my circumstances.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

I promise I'll stop asking questions soon and just buy the stuff and have lots of wonderful pictures to share!

If you can afford the extra for the better tank, I say go for it! Better to pay that bit extra now than regret it later down the line. £30 is a drop in the ocean of what you're spending :p

depends what sort of plant setup you want. T5's are normally geared towards 'high tech' set ups that utilize C02.....but you are better off posting in the planted section for a detailed answer.

Fluval are better than Juwel IMO. I'd never buy another Juwel tank again.
The lights really put me off the tanks. There are endless people saying that their lights have stopped working, including mine at one stage. Leaves you with the option of either fixing them, or replacing them. Fixing them isn't a big job but it requires cutting into the unit and replacing the ballast. Customer service I have also found pretty poor with them too.

Just my opinion.

Fluval are better than Juwel IMO. I'd never buy another Juwel tank again.
The lights really put me off the tanks. There are endless people saying that their lights have stopped working, including mine at one stage. Leaves you with the option of either fixing them, or replacing them. Fixing them isn't a big job but it requires cutting into the unit and replacing the ballast. Customer service I have also found pretty poor with them too.

Just my opinion.

agreed with the above poster my lights have failed twice.

Thanks for your opinions so far peeps, I've posted in the plants section about the lights so hopefully some green fingered folk can help me out there.

The lights were the only thing particularly guiding me to the Juwel but if they are prone to failure and I can still grow enough live plants under just 80w then I'll get the Roma and save the £35!

Any more opinions are still welcome folks!

I personally like the sound of the pre-plumbed 305 and is that with the new, swish cabinet?

Think the Juwel comes with one of their internals as well? If so they come pre-silliconed in place I believe so if you dont want it there's some work to do.

I personally like the sound of the pre-plumbed 305 and is that with the new, swish cabinet?

Think the Juwel comes with one of their internals as well? If so they come pre-silliconed in place I believe so if you dont want it there's some work to do.

No idea if it is the new cabinet or not, I'll find out tomorrow when I pop in. Hopefully it is as it does look nice and we don't want the colours offered on the old base, however I could always just buy the tank which AFAIK hasn't changed and I know that none of the included gear has changed. The tank is £299 in Maidenhead Aquatics before the 20% discount they are running at the moment.

Nobody has had anything to say on my thread about the lights :(

Yep. I have the Vicenza 180 which is the same design. I'm even using Fluval hoses on it. lol. :D

Just went down to Maidenhead Aquatics in Croydon and the girl had got the price wrong on the phone. She said £440 for the Roma 240 and cabinet but it was actually £410! After the 20% discount it came to just £328 which was very very nice. I picked up the tank today and the cabinet (it is the new one) I can get next weekend once it's in.

£328 for something that at its cheapest is £440 online! I know they are having a sale which helps but that is great.

Now I have to wait for the wife to come home before I can get the thing out of the car!

Congrats on the purchase, I also have a Fluval Roma 240, and I think it's such a well-designed tank!

Ben.

i got the roma 90 and i think its a nice little tank, wouldnt think twice about picking a roma over a juwel (had both), gogogo!

Check my signature.....say no more :lol:

Most reactions

Back