The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phillippa42

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Fluval internal filter - think its a Fluval 3 :huh:

Anyway, had the tank and filter since Jan and once a month am rinsing the filter spongers in tank water. Though last time I did this (the other day) I got an ammonia spike, someone o nthe Emergencies Board said if I scrubbed the sponge (which I did), I could have killed off bacteria.

Anyway - in the filter there are 2 black coarse sponges and in the middle is a softer, white sponge. The black ones seem to clean up ok, but the white one is now brown and looks yucky.

Is it not doing its job now, should I replace it. Is this why I now have an ammonia spike? If I do replace it will it cause a mini cycle?

thanks

If its a fluval +3, you should have 2 white sponges in each half and the middle section is optional. It sounds like you have 2 carbon pads in each half and a polyester pad in the middle.....Not good!

Your best bet is to buy 2 new sponges to go in each half and replace them 1 at a time and a month apart to reduce the impact on the beneficial bacteria. The middle pad is entirely optional, you can use the polyester pad or a carbon pad. I don't use either asa i find the filters plenty good enough without these extra pads and also find that they clog up much quicker with extra pads in.

The setup at the moment will be removing all the beneficial nutrients etc due to the excessive carbon usage.

The pads are pretty cheap and widely available, just make sure you get the right size (+3).

It is a good filter by the way, I use various fluvals in my tanks.

Just realised this has turned into an essay :lol:. Any questions, just post back.

Hope this helps

Thanks Ferris for that - are they just called Fluval 3+ sponges?

I wouldn't have had a clue that it had the wrong stuff in, thats what came with it.

Probably explains the fish problems I've been having then.....

Yep, Ferris is correct, sounds like you have carbon in there. I have fluvals in all my tanks and I just took a look at the only box I have which is for the 1+

It calls them FOAM PADS and if you look at the picture on the box you can see its like a white sponge with holes in it it. Just make sure you get the one for the size of filter you have.

Hope it makes your fish happier :)

I used a malchite green based white spot med around 7 days ago but didn't use a carbon pad after i stopped using it. Will it make much of a difference now i haven't used it?

No probs on the help and yeah, they are easy to buy. Most LFS will probably sell the sponges for the whole range (+1 - +4). Just make sure you pick the +3 sponges, you won't have a problem. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back