Fluval 206 Making Noise?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mr.Tan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not new to the hobby, or here (not super new atleast) but i couldn't figure out where the best place to put this is.

I recently got a new fluval 206 canister filter for my tank and hooked it up the other day.  It has been making this loud and annoying noise (dissapointing since I was informed it was a QUIET filter).   Anyone have any ideas? i tried turning it on and off, shaking it, but nothing helped.   I primed it before starting to ensure it was full of water.

here is a link to video of the noise.

http://s105.photobucket.com/user/vdubn5/media/3B0F8CF4-80F0-4F4E-9B51-E778440C536B-4895-000002D1B8297009_zps7e35e5dc.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/vdubn5/media/3B0F8CF4-80F0-4F4E-9B51-E778440C536B-4895-000002D1B8297009_zps7e35e5dc.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=137424198772703278224159408275

Weird, my 406 and FX6 are silent in comparison - that's definitely not a default noise.
Could just take it back and get a new one?
Or try taking apart the impeller/motor bit and making sure nothing is loose, not easy to get into though.
It's not vibrating on anything is it? 

Mine was a bit louder than I expected it to be when I 1st got mine too, It just quietened down in it's own time and now can't be heard over the sound of the surface water flow it generates

Sophie said:
Weird, my 406 and FX6 are silent in comparison - that's definitely not a default noise.
Or try taking apart the impeller/motor bit and making sure nothing is loose, not easy to get into though.

its weird because it was completely silent when I did a test run in non-tank water.  then i carried it inside and upstairs and put it on my current running tank to have it build up some biological mass before i put it on my new tank.  I wonder if something knocked lose while carrying it upstairs? I could probably return it, just a pain to do so since i already cut the hoses and all of that stuff...plus, i got it at a discounted rate because a buddy of mine works for the pet store.

oh and it shouldn't be vibrating on anything at all. its not leaning against anything and its sitting directly on the floor.  I'm gonna see if when I move it to my new tank which has a stand that is enclosed if i still hear it, i will try fixing the nose first though.

KirkyArcher said:
Mine was a bit louder than I expected it to be when I 1st got mine too, It just quietened down in it's own time and now can't be heard over the sound of the surface water flow it generates
 i need it to be as quiet as it was when i first started it.  It got progressively louder when I turned it off and moved it to my new tank. 

Mr.Tan said:

its weird because it was completely silent when I did a test run in non-tank water.  then i carried it inside and upstairs and put it on my current running tank to have it build up some biological mass before i put it on my new tank.

Careful with this as it will not create more bacteria, just split your current amount across two filters so you will be taking out a lot of bacteria needed for your current tank when you remove the filter for your new one.

Sophie said:

its weird because it was completely silent when I did a test run in non-tank water.  then i carried it inside and upstairs and put it on my current running tank to have it build up some biological mass before i put it on my new tank.

Careful with this as it will not create more bacteria, just split your current amount across two filters so you will be taking out a lot of bacteria needed for your current tank when you remove the filter for your new one.

its only been on for 2 days, my new tank is going up tomorrow and the filter will be put on right away to start the cycle process. 

My new 206 made noises. Almost a loose rattling noise. Long story short, it was air in the system. I was told to turn it completely upside down while running it and then gradually turn it back up to release trapped air. I wasn't confident turning it upside down but I did shake it and tilt it as much as I could and lots of air could be heard dispersing and making its way out of the spray bar. It didn't get rid of the noise straight away but did reduce it. Then, the rest of the air disperses over a week or 2. I now have to put my ear right up to the canister to heara slight hum.

David J said:
My new 206 made noises. Almost a loose rattling noise. Long story short, it was air in the system. I was told to turn it completely upside down while running it and then gradually turn it back up to release trapped air. I wasn't confident turning it upside down but I did shake it and tilt it as much as I could and lots of air could be heard dispersing and making its way out of the spray bar. It didn't get rid of the noise straight away but did reduce it. Then, the rest of the air disperses over a week or 2. I now have to put my ear right up to the canister to heara slight hum.
 good to hear.  I took it apart and drained all the water out of it, double checked everything and all was well. So im gonna assume that its the problem you had.  When i re-hook it back up tonight/tomorrow i'll see if it still does it and if it does do what you said. thanks!

Funnily enough, I cleaned my filter yesterday for the first time in about 6 weeks. This meant emptying it, rinsing all the media in tank water and putting it all back together again and filling it up again.

This is essentially the same as the first day I set it up with air now being trapped again. The noise was back. I did all the shaking, tilting etc and it has reduced it but is still noisier than before I cleaned it. So again, the air I guess will disperse over the next week or so.

I've found that when I refill the tank and the filter unit after a water change/filter clean and providing I don't allow the water level drop below the outflow pipe (a spraybar in my case) immediately prior to openning the aquastop valve and with the primer handle raised the filter canister fills to capacity as I keep topping up the tank, I then push down the primer handle (no pumping required) when the water level remains constant and turn the filter back on and I do not get any trapped air causing any noise or being expelled out of the spraybar

KirkyArcher said:
I've found that when I refill the tank and the filter unit after a water change/filter clean and providing I don't allow the water level drop below the outflow pipe (a spraybar in my case) immediately prior to openning the aquastop valve and with the primer handle raised the filter canister fills to capacity as I keep topping up the tank, I then push down the primer handle (no pumping required) when the water level remains constant and turn the filter back on and I do not get any trapped air causing any noise or being expelled out of the spraybar
Hi Kirky,

Let me check I've understood. You are draining the tank of however much you change, removing the filter canister, emptying it and cleaning it, reattaching it, then with the aqua stop open you refil the tank?

I think I've read your post wrong but would love to understand how you manage to do this because the noise bugs me, even if is just temporary.

Thanks,

David

Don't think you've fully understood ( my crap explanation) Should have added that the aquastop valve is closed before anything is done this keeps the pipes full of water, tank is then syphon emptied, keeping a bucket full of tank water for cleaning media, media is cleaned/replaced, put lid back on filter and pull out the primer handle, connect to the aquastop valve but leave the valve closed at this stage, then refill tank slightly overfilling to allow for filter capacity (about 5 litres) and have a jug of water ready incase you need to add even more water, then open the aquastop valve the water should instantly syphon down and fill the filter, all air in the filter is expelled out of the outflow pipe, when bubbles stop flowing out press down the primer handle and then plug in the filter, silent running from the off.

Much clearer lol. :) I will give that a go next time I do it. Sounds promising, certainly better than turning it upside down as suggested by the seller.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back