Flowering Anubias nana

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
I had to share these photos with you. It's one of my Anubias nana plants flowering and pearling simultaneously. To me it's the plant equivalent of breeding fish in terms of satisfaction. I've had them about 6 months (as you can see by the coating of green algae) but they've only just started to flower. I'm not sure what triggered it, any ideas?

Attachments

• anubias_closeup.JPG
    anubias_closeup.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 37
That's a fantatsic Photo. And I really want one of these. The only place I've seen them is Java-plants.com. But have heard that plants arrive from them in a sorry state. I might have to give them a go!

Lovely pic!

I have one with three flowers on it, I cheated though as I bought it like that last week :rolleyes:

Jon

I've got plants from java-plants and they are all doing fine, though like always they take some time to get established.

I've up my lights on my 14g to 5.2wpg and mine is also pearling..

I think most Anubias flower at a lower K spectrum, IME when I use to have mine flower a lot I only had one 20W coolwhite over them, but since I got my much brighter and higher K ( 3x 18W6400 1x 20w 7500K) tubes they started pearling but stoped flowering..

when last did you change your tubes.. since you had them for 6 months, was your tubes also new when you first planted them .. I know some tubes tend to shift a lot in spectrum at the end of there usefull life..

Would'nt it be nice to have a tell tail sign like the flowers to tell you to change your tubes..?

I found my nitrates climbing and BBA starts taking over as a sign..

Good point about the tubes, but I think it was a (accidental) 24 hour period of darkness that triggered it. I've only just remembered that I left my timers off during maintenance. Thanks for the info though.

Wow! :wub: It looks lovely.
They so remind me of peace lilies. I guess they're from the same family. I hope mine flowers eventually too. :)

It's pictures like that that keep me going in this hobby, despite my algae problems and everything. It just helps to know that someday, maybe my tank will be that good and quitting would only be throwing away what could be. Thanks gf225, your tank is amazing.

Oh my gosh, gf225, Mine's doing the same thing!!! I though it was just an abnormally long leaf, but it still hasn't blossomed! I think what triggered it was I added a small amount of flourish. Oh wow! Now I have to convince my mom to let me use her camera!! I guess I'll go add some more flourish!! :hyper: :D

Thanks everyone. It's compliments like those that help keep me so motivated.

guppygirl - You may have to wait a while, I have a few that have been "budding" for weeks. You could try what I (inadvertantly) did and leave your lights off for 24 hours.

Most reactions

Back