Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Floating plants

Discussion in 'Plants Index' started by Slamatrix, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Slamatrix

Slamatrix New Member

Hi all!

Hope someone can help,

Doing lots of research when it comes to taking care of my fishies.
    Seeing a lot of comments pointing to getting floating plants.

I dont have any real plants in my tank yet, i plan to eventually but have not made the jump yet.
    I know very little about live plants at the mo, so i wondered if there is any easy floating plants to put in?
    I've seen a few things like water lettuce, but i dont know if they are any good or if they are easy to look after.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Matt

2. Byron

Byron Member

Floating plants tend to be easier to grow because they are closer to the tank light (and brightness is usually not an issue) and they have what is termed the aerial advantage. Floating leaves (and some actually grow leaves into the air above the surface) are able to assimilate CO2 from the air which for the plant is about four times easier than CO2 taken from the submersed leaves. They are fast growing, so sometimes a liquid fertilizer is helpful, but not always.

The light is important, from the standpoint of spectrum as well as intensity, so describing the light you now have will be helpful. Sometimes a new tube or bulb for the present fixture might be needed.

To the plants. There are three generally available from time to time that grow much the same, with dangling root masses under the floating leaves. Fish love these, as the roots provide a source of microscopic live food, and many species will spawn in them too.

Water Sprite, Ceratopteris cornuta, is my favourite. This is truly a beautiful plant. Daughter plants will form on the alternate fronds (being a true fern the "leaves" are fronds) once the plant is settled. It can grow quite large, with leaves easily covering the entire surface. Sometimes this is needed, but if not it is easy to remove some of the daughter plants and discard the large parent plant periodically.

Water Lettuce, Pistia stratiotes, is similar, except it propagates by sending out little runners with a daughter plant. Another plant is Tropical Frogbit, Limnobium laevigatum, which also sends out a runner with a new plant.

There are much smaller floating plants, such as the Salvinia species, and even smaller the common Duckweed. I have these in some tanks where they can bee very useful, but for general display one of the three larger plants mentioned above are better.

Some stem plants will grow nicely left floating. Brazilian Pennywort is especially nice.

Byron.

3. Lyuba_buk

Lyuba_buk New Member

2E06DFAF-5EA2-4634-BD20-34BD0BEAE373.jpeg Hello! I recently bought several shrimps and got some interesting flowers (?) with it. I wonder what is is and what i should do to encourage its growth. I put it in my tank. The pic is attached.

4. Mark Z.

Mark Z. Member

I have frogbit. It does very well and spreads like crazy. I have to throw away about half of it every other week. If you want some and live in the US, let me know and I'll send you some.

• Like Like x 1
  5. King puff

King puff New Member

Lyuba, that is duckweed. Duckweed grows like a weed, maybe faster. In no time and with little effort, that plant will be covering the top of your tank. It looks nice! To me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickAu

NickAu Member

I am sure there are people who will argue that I have too many floating plants, I think I have just enough.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. King puff

King puff New Member

I really like your tank! I have always been wanting duckweed but I have a HOB filter so the duckweed would get clumped in a corner. :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickAu

NickAu Member

So do I, use straws like I did. Memo to self..... Buy clear straws, they are $2 for 100.

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. King puff

King puff New Member

Thanks for the idea!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lyuba_buk

Lyuba_buk New Member

Awesome!! Does it need lots of light? It looks nice to me, too! Thanks for identifying!
    I also have a regular filter, which hangs on the side of my tank... should i also make this construction to avoid cloggs? I was thinking these flowers will just go through it...

• Like Like x 1
  11. NickAu

NickAu Member

Yes.

Not really, Duckweed is a nutrient sink because it grows fast, if your duckweed is growing fast its because there are lots of nutrients in the water.

12. Lyuba_buk

Lyuba_buk New Member

Thanks!!!