The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

squeaza

Reaction score
43562232_316119112509116_7364507107359457280_n.jpg This is one of my peppered cory's he as about double the size as his pair. He spends most of daylight at the surface of the tank like this, however usually against the glass, and hidden further in the plants. He seems to be in a sleep state when i find him like this, and will not move what so ever unless i touch him. He has done this since the moment i brought him home. Water parameters are normal. I am concerned from the guy, because at day he cannot not stay at the bottom of the tank and only recently has this affected him at night. I from close inspection i can't see anything visibly wrong with him.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the fish has been doing it since you got it, there might be an issue with the swim bladder or the fish has ingested too much air.

If the fish struggles to swim down and automatically floats back up, then it is a concern. However, if it can swim around the bottom normally and then swims up to the top where it rests, that is less of an issue.

You can't do anything about swim bladder issues and most are caused by poor genetics, the fish was born with it and will die with it.

When the oxygen levels in water drop, catfish will take in air from the surface (swallow it) and as the air passes along their digestive tract they absorb the oxygen out of it. The air eventually comes out the other end. If the fish is swallowing lots of air, that will cause it to float. Having lots of aeration/ surface turbulence will help to maximise the oxygen levels in the water and the fish should be less likely to take in air. However, it could also be a habit the fish has (taking in air all the time) and there isn't much you can do about that.

You could try putting the fish into a shallow tank, that is an aquarium or large container (long & wide) with a few inches of water in. In shallower water the air will have less effect on the fish. Lowering the aquarium water level down a bit might help too but make sure the lower water level does not affect the filter or heater.

Have lots of floating plants in the tank for the fish to hide under so it is not as exposed when under the surface. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the fish has been doing it since you got it, there might be an issue with the swim bladder or the fish has ingested too much air.

If the fish struggles to swim down and automatically floats back up, then it is a concern. However, if it can swim around the bottom normally and then swims up to the top where it rests, that is less of an issue.

You can't do anything about swim bladder issues and most are caused by poor genetics, the fish was born with it and will die with it.

When the oxygen levels in water drop, catfish will take in air from the surface (swallow it) and as the air passes along their digestive tract they absorb the oxygen out of it. The air eventually comes out the other end. If the fish is swallowing lots of air, that will cause it to float. Having lots of aeration/ surface turbulence will help to maximise the oxygen levels in the water and the fish should be less likely to take in air. However, it could also be a habit the fish has (taking in air all the time) and there isn't much you can do about that.

You could try putting the fish into a shallow tank, that is an aquarium or large container (long & wide) with a few inches of water in. In shallower water the air will have less effect on the fish. Lowering the aquarium water level down a bit might help too but make sure the lower water level does not affect the filter or heater.

Have lots of floating plants in the tank for the fish to hide under so it is not as exposed when under the surface. :)

Thankyou for the reply :)

His in a community tank so i won't be able to lower the water level. I think i have noticed a pattern, for a few days after a water change, or water is topped up, he seems to spend more of his time at the surface and has bouncy issues. Today 3 days after a water change, he hasn't spent anytime at the surface, well his taken a few breaths, but no floating. So maybe he doesn't like the water conditioner and that puts him understand stress?

It's something in the water conditioner, he was fine, and the moment started adding water conditioned water he was floating!! I use Pisces Laboratories Complete. It is so odd to me that this happens, is there a safer conditioner to use? I feel like all conditioners are the same. His the only fish that it sames to effect.

I have never heard of a water conditioner doing this. If it happens when you do a water change the tap water could be stressing the fish or the fish might be taking in air when you add the new water.

Are you dechlorinating the new water before adding it to the aquarium?
How often do you do water changes and how do you do them?

-------------------
I used Wardley's Tri Start, which only contains Sodium Thiosulphate and breaks down chlorine & chloramine. It doesn't have anything else in it.

Yes, i am dechlorinating the water before adding it, and giving it a good mix. I do a 10-20% water change a week, i usually add more dechlorinated water then removed as i have a high evaporation rate. And retop the tank once in between changes. I live in NT Australia, so our water tends to be heavily chlorinated. I also test the water a 10 or so mintues after the change to make sure the parameters are safe.

I moved him into a pound outside and he swam for 2 seconds around the surface and then went to the bottom completely normal. I checked on him this morning and he seem completely fine. I can't leave him there too long as the substrate is not suitable and his without his pair.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back