Flex fluval stocking q (apologies!)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Runnymeade

Reaction score
Hi guys newbie here,

Recently purchased a flex fluval 57l.

Modded by buying an additional fluval flex light bar aswell an interpet led bar, so doubled output + 2w from interpet bar.

Also added a mini internal filter with wool o in the third compartment (heater and pump compartment), so as to create stronger current into the back sponge compartment...

Stocking wise I'm thinking :

2 dwarf gourami (1 orange 1 gold/yellow)
1 cory
1 cherry barb
1 yellow molly

2 nerite snails

Your thoughts on potential problems with stocking would be really appreciated

Thank you !

83c7c3d19d9ca39ed7642720a2d1e57a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes, there are a few issues. First, gouramis really should be kept in pairs. If the two that you have are males, they will always be aggressive toward each other.

Second, Cory catfish are shoaling fish, they need a group of at least seven individuals. I am not sure what Cory you got but some can get big. For example, the emerald Cory which gets up to three inches and still needs a shoal.

Third, cherry barbs are nippy and are also shoaling fish. Without 8 or more individuals your one barb may start nipping the gouramis fins.

Lastly, a mollys full size is larger than three inches. They also have a massive bio load that is hard to keep up with in a small tank. They need at least a 40 gallon tank.

I personally would return the fish to the store that you got them from. You can keep one gourami if you would like. After this it would be easier for us to suggest proper fish for this tank.

There are a few thing we need to know.

How big is the tank?
What is the ph?
What is the hardness?

This is the tank https://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/Starter-Kits-Desktop/15006 It is virtually a cube (approx 40 cm/15.5 inches per side) with a front glass that bows outwards making it look pot bellied.

The fish on your list need a tank with a footprint bigger than 40 x 40 cm (15.5 x 15.5 inches). For example, dwarf gouramis and cherry barbs need a tank at least 60 cm (24 inches long) while mollies need at least 90 cm (36 inches) long.
With a tank this size and shape you need so called nano fish. But in order to suggest suitable fish we need to know your tap water hardness. Fish have evolved to live in water with certain parameters, and we need to choose fish that need the same parameters as our tap water.
You should be able to find the hardness of your water on your water company's website. We need both the number and the unit as they could use any one of half a dozen different units.

Another point on dwarf gouramis, a lot of them are infected with the incurable dwarf gourami iridovirus by the time they reach shops and these fish just die a few months after purchase. Unless you can find a local breeder with non-infected fish, I would avoid dwarf gouramis.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back