Flashing

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

eudielynn

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have been reading in the fish emergencies section and I have read several that mention the fish "flashing" as a symptom of illness. What do you mean by flashing?

flashing is when a fish flicks itself against an object, you will see a flash of silver as the light hits its' body and reflects it back.

flashing is often caused by a skin irritant of some kind,
to put it in human terms, the fish is scratching an itch.

Flashing can be a sign of illness, and the aquarist should be on alert. It's not necessarily so though. Are they constantly doing it?

It's also when fish run around with little trench coats on and "flash" other fishes.
They only do this at night, when we humans are fast asleep. :hey:

BettaMomma said:
It's also when fish run around with little trench coats on and "flash" other fishes.
They only do this at night, when we humans are fast asleep. :hey:
Fish don't have shoulders to support their coat. They raise their invisible to humans tube tops and flash like on girls gone wild.

On topic: if the fish is doing it alot it might be a problem. Isolated instances are ok.

Change 20% of your water, it can't hurt.

I can tell I am going to have to keep on my toes around you guys. I don't have any fish flashing, but now if one of them does I will know what it is. Thanks. Also, to Bettamomma, your story about Amos broke my heart. I have Jericho, and he is the king of my tank. I'd hate to have anything happen to him. I rescued him from Walmart --- you know the deal.

Most reactions

Back