Flashing fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've noticed one of my small angels has been rubbing against my anubias leaves anytime he swims by them. He doesn't rub against the gravel or any other ornaments and while the rubbing is infrequent, I've seen him do it at least once every day for three days. I noticed one of my corydora was rubbing against some plant leaves as well. I'm not seeing any signs of ick along their bodies or red streaks along their gills or anything physically abnormal. I've done an extra fifty percent water change and checked my parameters and everything is coming back safe so I'm not sure what to do from this point.

Also, if medicine is required what would be safe for corydora? I've read they are sensitive to medicine and I don't want to cause anymore stress than necessary should the situation require I use medicine.

I've noticed one of my small angels has been rubbing against my anubias leaves anytime he swims by them. He doesn't rub against the gravel or any other ornaments and while the rubbing is infrequent, I've seen him do it at least once every day for three days. I noticed one of my corydora was rubbing against some plant leaves as well. I'm not seeing any signs of ick along their bodies or red streaks along their gills or anything physically abnormal. I've done an extra fifty percent water change and checked my parameters and everything is coming back safe so I'm not sure what to do from this point.

Also, if medicine is required what would be safe for corydora? I've read they are sensitive to medicine and I don't want to cause anymore stress than necessary should the situation require I use medicine.

This is most likely ich, if water parameters/quality is OK as you mention. Ich first attacks fish in the gills, so we don't see the customary white spots. This is actually very common, and if the fish are healthy and not under stress, they can usually get past it. The absence of any flashing will tell you when this is the case. In the meantime, avoid any stress. Major water changes help--there really is nothing like fresh water. I wouldn't go overboard, but do a 60-70% water change, same temp water, with a good conditioner. Siphon over the top of the substrate in open areas (get into the top layer to dislodge the grains) as some suggest this can "pick up" the cysts before they break open.

Stress can cause the fish's resistance to weaken, and that is when ich gets through and as I said the gills are first targeted, so we see flashing. A couple times I have even spotted a spot or two on newly acquired fish while in QT, and without treatment but clean water it has not progressed and flashing stopped. Stress is the direct cause of ich, always.

Should treatment be necessary down the road, heat and salt is best. I have used this in a tank with 50 wild caught cories and had no fatality. I've detailed the method in a couple other recent threads, but can repeat if asked. But I wold give the fish a week or two of rest and quiet and it should improve.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back