Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Flagtail Prochidulis

Discussion in 'Oddballs' started by Flagtail, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Flagtail

Flagtail Member

Flagtail Prochidulis -Semaprochilodus Taeniurus
    Species name: Semaprochilodus taeniurus

Synonym: Semaprochilodus taeniurus

Common name:
    Silver Flagtail Prochilodus

Family: Curimatidae

Order: Characins

Class: Actinopterygii

Maximum size: 30 cm / 12 inches

Environment: Freshwater

Origin: South America, mostly Amazon River

Temperament: Territorial but otherwise relatively non aggressive. Will do fine with other larger fish and will live in harmity with small fish as well.

Company: Semaprochilodus taeniurus (Silver Flagtail Prochilodus) is best kept alone. However, they can live in groups of 4 or more.

Water parameters: Temperature 24-27˚C / 75-80˚F; pH 5.5 – 7.5

Aquarium setup: Semaprochilodus taeniurus (Silver Flagtail Prochilodus) requires a relatively large aquarium decorated in such a manner that a number of hiding places are created. This species can’t be kept together with plants since most/all plants will be eaten. They do however prefer to have planted areas present and it is therefore recommendable to use plastic plants to create a couple of planted areas.

Feeding: Semaprochilodus taeniurus (Silver Flagtail Prochilodus) should be kept on a vegetable diet.
    In my experience, I have had my flagtails eat shrimp, pellets, cichlid sticks, flakes, alage, and more.
    Comments: I have had many flagtails. They are by far the best fish I have ever kept. They will eat alage and keep the tank clean. They will do great by them selves, or like I said need to be kept in a group of 4 or more. They will grow a quick 2-3'' the first few months then will slow down after they hit a good 6-7''. I recommended this to any one looking for a nice peacuful characin that will eat alage.
    Pics taken by Flagtail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]