Common name:
Silver Flagtail Prochilodus

Family: Curimatidae

Order: Characins

Class: Actinopterygii

Maximum size: 30 cm / 12 inches

Environment: Freshwater

Origin: South America, mostly Amazon River

Temperament: Territorial but otherwise relatively non aggressive. Will do fine with other larger fish and will live in harmity with small fish as well.

Company: Semaprochilodus taeniurus (Silver Flagtail Prochilodus) is best kept alone. However, they can live in groups of 4 or more.

Water parameters: Temperature 24-27˚C / 75-80˚F; pH 5.5 – 7.5

Aquarium setup: Semaprochilodus taeniurus (Silver Flagtail Prochilodus) requires a relatively large aquarium decorated in such a manner that a number of hiding places are created. This species can’t be kept together with plants since most/all plants will be eaten. They do however prefer to have planted areas present and it is therefore recommendable to use plastic plants to create a couple of planted areas.

Feeding: Semaprochilodus taeniurus (Silver Flagtail Prochilodus) should be kept on a vegetable diet.
In my experience, I have had my flagtails eat shrimp, pellets, cichlid sticks, flakes, alage, and more.
Comments: I have had many flagtails. They are by far the best fish I have ever kept. They will eat alage and keep the tank clean. They will do great by them selves, or like I said need to be kept in a group of 4 or more. They will grow a quick 2-3'' the first few months then will slow down after they hit a good 6-7''. I recommended this to any one looking for a nice peacuful characin that will eat alage.
Pics taken by Flagtail

Familypicsandgradation055.jpg

Familypicsandgradation053.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back