Fishywishies Fishless Cycle

OK, then! When you get your first double-zero at 24 hours and are doing the 3ppm lowered-dosing, I always use that as a touchstone for beginning to ease back up toward 5ppm dosing. I'd move back up to 4ppm dosing for the next week or so and then on up to 5ppm. You are clearly getting in to the final phase and things seem to moving right along.

~~waterdrop~~

Somehow ive really managed to set my cycle back im going through everything ive done in last 48 hours to try and figure out whats gone wrong.#

*UPDATE* i think what may have happened is my double 0 wasn't really a double 0 (I don't think i left the colour long enough to develop) I think looking at my readings of last week (ignoring the double 0 day) that im firmly still within my nitrite spike. Nitrates are being produced but Nitrite level is still very high.

Im going to gather up as much info as I can and start a fresh thread i think with table of readings etc so I can see where i go from here.

Cycle is definately in pieces Ammonia doesn't appear to have dropped at all since last night nor the nitrites i do have nitrates so something is happening just at a dramatically lower level.

I think the time is right to beg for mature media for the 305 i have 1 chamber which still has the carbon bag Anyone UK based able to spare some mature ceramic or otherwise filter media ? Ill happily pay for new media for you + P&P costs.

Im so close to giving up right now :sad:

Stick with it fishie, I'm sorry its not going well for you, unfortunately I can't offer you any mature media as my filter is still to fragile as I didn't finish my cycle long ago.

Not sure why you've been set back. Might be something to do with that waterchange the other day. Maybe the media got dry? not sure. Hopefully one of the more experienced members will clue you in.

Thanks for the reply the internal filters media def didnt dry out as they were sat in a bucket of tank water. Can't swear 100% that the 305 didnt but as it was switched off the media baskets should still have been submerged in water as the water that came in the intake would no longer be getting pumped back out while switched off I think ?

Im not sure what im going to do at this point.

Me neither as I havn't experienced anything like this I can't really put in any input.

Good luck with the cycle, I'm going away for a week so I certainly hope its improved by the time I'm back.

:good:

edit: whats your tank pH?

Thanks for the reply the internal filters media def didnt dry out as they were sat in a bucket of tank water. Can't swear 100% that the 305 didnt but as it was switched off the media baskets should still have been submerged in water as the water that came in the intake would no longer be getting pumped back out while switched off I think ?

Im not sure what im going to do at this point.

Pop down to your LFS and ask for some mature media.
If they give you sponges, wahey! If not, they probably use under gravel filtration. Ask for a small amount, keep it wet, whack it in a stocking (or a pair of tights), plop into the filter and job done.

You might have to pay for it, but it'll be worth it.

I think im going to call this a bust. Would take to long to explain why and what i think has happened but suffice to say i don't think I have the stomach or the aptitude for fish keeping. Thanks to all who have offered advise during my aborted cycle and I wish you all the best with yours.

No !!!!! Come back please !!!!!
shout.gif
shout.gif
shout.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back