Fishless cycling for one fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flubberlump

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi. I was hoping for some opinions on my fishless cycle.

I have a new 25ltr tank to house a betta. I added a sponge from my mature 120ltr tank last week. It was the sponge closest to the filter inlet so it was the one most covered in gunk. The following day, the ammonia in the tank was at about 1ppm (showing somewhere between 0.6 and 1.2 on my test kit) nitrite between 0.1 and 0.3ppm and nitrate at 5-10 ppm, presumably because of the amount of said gunk decomposing.

I figured that seeing as I'm only adding one betta that 3ppm of ammonia was a bit excessive so I continue the cycle dosing to 1.5ppm of ammonia and it's about cycled.

I just wanted to check that cycling it to 1.5ppm would be OK for just the one fish. Considering that 3ppm is enough to stock a larger tank I can't see why not but just wanted confirmation from someone else :)

Thanks

I just wanted to check that cycling it to 1.5ppm would be OK for just the one fish. Considering that 3ppm is enough to stock a larger tank I can't see why not but just wanted confirmation from someone else :)

That is absolutely right, 3ppm is somewhat excessive just for a single betta splenden.

I usually recommend between 1 to 2ppm ammonia dosing for shrimp tank set ups and for betta tanks, simply due to the fact that the bioload of these will be far lower than what one would expect in a larger 20+ gal tank fully stocked.

Even 3ppm is more than what one would expect even in tanks larger than 20+ gals but always best to err on the side of caution, this is exactly why the cycling article now states 3ppm rather than the older rule of 4ppm, and even older rule of 5ppm ammonia dosing. Please anyone, do NOT cycle tanks at 5ppm simply because chances are that ammount of ammonia could very well overwhelm the bacterias, especially the nitrite bacs.

Good going, 1.5ppm is pretty much spot on, reckon 1ppm is fine too for anyone considering cycling a tank just for a betta or shrimps set ups :)

That is absolutely right, 3ppm is somewhat excessive just for a single betta splenden.

I usually recommend between 1 to 2ppm ammonia dosing for shrimp tank set ups and for betta tanks, simply due to the fact that the bioload of these will be far lower than what one would expect in a larger 20+ gal tank fully stocked.

Good going, 1.5ppm is pretty much spot on, reckon 1ppm is fine too for anyone considering cycling a tank just for a betta or shrimps set ups :)

Brilliant thanks Ch4rlie, this is what I was hoping for. I couldn't find any info about cycling for low stock. I thought it would make sense to dose a lower amount but wanted confirmation :) there are live plants in there too. Hopefully it'll be finished in the next couple of days so I can move my betta into it!

Live plants contribute to helping with ammonia levels too (and nitrate as well) ;)

So all is good :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back