Fishless Cycle :)

OK, your dechlorinator dose is very slightly low and shouldn't really be a problem but I would be tempted to raise it to 1.5mlL per bucket to be on the safe side. Can you smell any chlorine in the tap water?

Your bucket. Is there any chance it could have been contaminated when you made the water change? Could contamination have crept in from any other source?

Whether it goes back to day one depend on what's caused the stall, which at the moment isn't clear. If it's just the change of water parameters it should pick up soon, but then again I would have expected it to have picked up already by now.

Are you making sure your aeration is as good as you can get it?

Is the filter flow noticeably any less than at the start of the cycle?

BTW 5L isn't a bucket. I drink tea from mugs bigger than that! :lol:

Okay i'll up the dose next time :).. I can't smell chlorine from the tap water no.

I always rinse out the buckets first so don't think they could be contaminated. What kind of things might contaminate it?.. there hasn't been anyghing different near the tank since day 1, that i can think of.

Ive got an air pump with 2 outlets on full blast so the surface is very agitated, I could turn the filter outlet to the surface aswell if this will help.

The filter flow seems just the same.

:blush: 5 litre buckets.. even they're heavy :lol:

If me I'd redose up to 2mls and see what happens. Its maybe just stalled for a short period.

That or leave and keep testing every day.
fingers crossed its just a short period :( lol

What kind of things might contaminate it?

Detergents, bleach etc.

Ive got an air pump with 2 outlets on full blast so the surface is very agitated, I could turn the filter outlet to the surface aswell if this will help.

Can't harm, try it for a while.

My heroin is working then? :hey:

lol ..I hope so :hyper: ! I just hope some of the nitrite eating bacteria will hurry up as its not quite coming down yet :-( ! Feel like im eventually getting somewhere though :nod: !

My plans so far...

Have started looking at a stocking list for a nice community setup and have nearly decided :) Stocking list

I have some nice bits of redmoor root, small bits of bogwood & some coconut caves. My aquascaping I want to go planted .. but have no idea where to start to be honest.. I haven't even decided what plants to go for yet lol ..

Any suggestions ... :crazy:

Woohoo!! :hyper: 0ppm ammonia again today (roughly 36hours after dosing).. and the nitrite is definately being turned into nitrates now :good: :good: (see post 1) .. anyone got a 'rough' idea how long it will be!? (my answer will probably be.. how long is a price of string lol but someone might be able to give me a rough idea) :blush:

I'd say it'll be a few days before you get consistent double zeroes, at week at most.

:hyper: 0ppm ammonia and 0.25ppm nitrite .. i'm well on my way now :hyper: ...

Am I aiming to have ammonia & nitrite reach 0ppm within 12 or 24 hours?

Do I re-dose ammonia every 12 or 24 hours now? (I have been re-dosing every 24hours so far)

Once the nitrite falls to zero redose every 12 hours, but don't get too hung up on it, once it clears ammonia and nitrite in 24hours you're good to go.

Once the nitrite falls to zero redose every 12 hours, but don't get too hung up on it, once it clears ammonia and nitrite in 24hours you're good to go.

Okay doke sounds good :good: I might be able to go fish shopping at the weekend :hyper: !! I have a stocking idea in my head which is...

4x Platinum angels
10-20x Rummynose Tetras
2x Apistogramma Cacatuoides, double red
2x Apistogramma agasizzi

1x Hypancistrus sp. (L201)
1x Leopard frog pleco (L134)
1x Albino pleco
1x Lemon ancistrus

How would you go about stocking this .. considering my tank will be able to handle 1ppm :D (Over what time period and what fish first-last) I don't ask much do i :blush: hehe

(Thankyou so much for all you help/advice/info Prime Ordeal. You have been a great help, and seem to be about with good info for nearly all my posts :good: .. I hope i'm not being too much of a pain.. im just asking as much as i can .. I want my tanks to be the best they can be :blush:

Most reactions

Back