Fishkeeper Returns

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

grayboy1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After a long 5 year break from keeping and breeding numerous african and central american cichlids ive decided to give fish keeping a go again in my new house, although its only round the corner from my old houseO(this will be relevent later)

basically im used to poviding fish with moderate to hard water with a ph above neutral. my tap water used to read ph 7 on the dot and the gh and kh were moderately hard(cant remember exact figuires). anyway ive set up a tank and planned on having a go at discus. i understand the need for RO or HMA filters in certain situations so was poised to buy 1. i gave my tap water a test and to my surprise its coming out at 6.2-6.5 every time with a gh and kh on the minimum range of every test kit i use. all reading <3 degrees. i assume the change in water conditions is down to my water board. my question is, with hardness and kh this low, will i have problems in terms of keeping the ph at what it originally reads. i assume i would only need an HMA filter and the rest would be history, or am i missing something? also, is this kh and gh not too low for discus? many of the breeders i know in scotland breed their discus in mildly hard water, nothing this low. im a bit worried my water may be too low. if so does any1 have a recommendation as what i could do to adjust my water?

I would stick with your tap water and not worry too much about pH. I kept discus in a pH of 8 for a while without any trouble (but I wasn't very 'into' them so I gave them up) but they naturaly live in soft, acidic water so your pH is fine too. The only problem may arise when acclimatising them so that should be done very slowly.

If you are worried about fluctuations, I'd like to know why - is it that you think your water board will be making changes again or are you just worried that a low pH would be 'unstable'? If it's the latter, as long as you don't add anything that'll act as a buffer (eg: rocks containing calcium carbonate), it'll be fine.
If it's the former, you'll need to use RO and get a commercial buffer mix. (though I'm somewhat opposed to those) and hope it stays steady :p

I'd also strongly urge you to ask in the new world cichldis section for more specific discus info. You may also find people there who lvie close to you or who are in a simialr situation and keep discus so they'll be able to help with more specific concerns.

I would stick with your tap water and not worry too much about pH. I kept discus in a pH of 8 for a while without any trouble (but I wasn't very 'into' them so I gave them up) but they naturaly live in soft, acidic water so your pH is fine too. The only problem may arise when acclimatising them so that should be done very slowly.

If you are worried about fluctuations, I'd like to know why - is it that you think your water board will be making changes again or are you just worried that a low pH would be 'unstable'? If it's the latter, as long as you don't add anything that'll act as a buffer (eg: rocks containing calcium carbonate), it'll be fine.
If it's the former, you'll need to use RO and get a commercial buffer mix. (though I'm somewhat opposed to those) and hope it stays steady :p

I'd also strongly urge you to ask in the new world cichldis section for more specific discus info. You may also find people there who lvie close to you or who are in a simialr situation and keep discus so they'll be able to help with more specific concerns.

Yes i was referring to the pH in terms of stability. thanks for the advice sylvia, ill stick with the tap water although from what ive read an HMA/CBR filter is a good choice for removing heavy metals and other contaminants whilst not affecting the hardness so ill purchase one of those, cheers for help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back