Fish To Help Hair Algae Removal From Plants?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

NormaJean

Reaction score
I have a bit of a hair algae problem growing on my live plants, I'd like to get a fish to help me out with the removal of it. I do tank maintenance once a week and sometimes it becomes a bit overwhelming. I was looking into sailfin mollies. But after reading about them I found out that they do best in brackish water and will most likely be unhealthy if kept in freshwater, so that's a big fat no. Then I read about platies, but my boyfriend doesn't like them for some reason and I have to respect that since he paid for half the tank (but I paid for EVERYTHING else, but that doesn't seem to matter). Then I read about tiger barbs, but they're too aggressive, then rosy barbs but my boyfriend also doesn't like them. So I'm stuck. The fish would be for a newly cycled aquarium. If it's a sensitive fish it can be added later, it's not a big rush. The tank is 120 gallons, peaceful fish only, semi-aggressive may work, but I prefer peaceful.

Amano shrimp would probably get eaten, I have angelfish, they are still juveniles but when they reach their full size they would probably would get eaten. Should have said *Must be 2" or larger.*

A juvi Siamese algae eater?

Siamese algae eaters get too aggressive, I don't want anything that I'll need to get rid of later.

I'll look into the amano shrimp, but I don't feel comfortable with the risk of them becoming food.

Your best option might be to tackle the reason for the algae. :good:

I'd be more interested in why I'm gettting the algae and finding an issue to this rather than adding livestock to reduce it.
What's your lighting period?
Are your tanks near windows/direct daylight or sunlight?

I had a trace or hair algae appear on a nano I have an reducing the lighting period by 30 minutes has seemed to do the trick.

Any pictures of the tank? You'd get a good few angels in a 120 gallon.

Agree with above. My experience with algae eating livestock, they prefer the other food you provide the rest of tank mates. Figure the algae problem. I am a big proponent of EXCEL. I use it once or twice a week and have had ZERO hair algae problems since. I know others are fearful of the stuff, but I have been using it for four years with discus even and have NEVER experienced fish problems or invert problems with its use. Find that balance of nutrients/CO2/lighting and all should take care of itself. Yes, easier said than done, but is part of the fun of doing it in the first place

Most reactions

Back