Fish To Help Hair Algae Removal From Plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NormaJean

Reaction score
I have a bit of a hair algae problem growing on my live plants, I'd like to get a fish to help me out with the removal of it. I do tank maintenance once a week and sometimes it becomes a bit overwhelming. I was looking into sailfin mollies. But after reading about them I found out that they do best in brackish water and will most likely be unhealthy if kept in freshwater, so that's a big fat no. Then I read about platies, but my boyfriend doesn't like them for some reason and I have to respect that since he paid for half the tank (but I paid for EVERYTHING else, but that doesn't seem to matter). Then I read about tiger barbs, but they're too aggressive, then rosy barbs but my boyfriend also doesn't like them. So I'm stuck. The fish would be for a newly cycled aquarium. If it's a sensitive fish it can be added later, it's not a big rush. The tank is 120 gallons, peaceful fish only, semi-aggressive may work, but I prefer peaceful.

Amano shrimp would probably get eaten, I have angelfish, they are still juveniles but when they reach their full size they would probably would get eaten. Should have said *Must be 2" or larger.*

A juvi Siamese algae eater?

Siamese algae eaters get too aggressive, I don't want anything that I'll need to get rid of later.

I'll look into the amano shrimp, but I don't feel comfortable with the risk of them becoming food.

Your best option might be to tackle the reason for the algae. :good:

I'd be more interested in why I'm gettting the algae and finding an issue to this rather than adding livestock to reduce it.
What's your lighting period?
Are your tanks near windows/direct daylight or sunlight?

I had a trace or hair algae appear on a nano I have an reducing the lighting period by 30 minutes has seemed to do the trick.

Any pictures of the tank? You'd get a good few angels in a 120 gallon.

Agree with above. My experience with algae eating livestock, they prefer the other food you provide the rest of tank mates. Figure the algae problem. I am a big proponent of EXCEL. I use it once or twice a week and have had ZERO hair algae problems since. I know others are fearful of the stuff, but I have been using it for four years with discus even and have NEVER experienced fish problems or invert problems with its use. Find that balance of nutrients/CO2/lighting and all should take care of itself. Yes, easier said than done, but is part of the fun of doing it in the first place

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back