Fish That Can Stand High Temperatures?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CletePurcel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently started getting into this hobby (my dad kept fish for several years and recently gave me a tank).

It is proving to be considerably addictive.

I am thinking of setting up a second tank, but the best place for it would unfortunately be in a conservatory. In summer this can get very hot (over 30C).

I was wondering whether there were fish that could take this kind of temperature or would I have to get an air conditioner to keep the temperature down?

Cheers.

Not sure on your question, but what about in winter? Our conservatory is freezing then..

Hmmm challenging you can get tank chillers or use bottles placed in the freezer to keep the temps down that is what I did in Thailand (tank got up to 40C a few times) and kept oscars and a red eared slider together. There are some fish that will stand extreme ranges of temperatures guppies pop to mind.

Blue German Rams like nice warm water (28-30c)

But, in a conservative you could get a hell of a lot of algae growth.

James

They don't appear to be on sale now, but the Kesgrave Tropicals ebay store did have some lovely unusual rainbowfish (Pseudomugil tenellus) for sale recently, that can apprently cope with temps as high as 37C!

You would need to speak to someone with more experince than me, but I do know my Persian Killifish (Aphanius mento) have a relatiely hige tollerance of temperature, from a wintery ~4C to a summer season high of ~30C. As to how far above 30C thet can cope I don't know ("ricefish" would be worth contacting), but potentially they could be the perfect fish for your conservatory, as they eat algae as part of their diet and would probably not need a heater in the winter (a cool winter season is very beneficial for the life span).

1 of my tanks is in the conservatory and ive kept discus, cardinal tetras and rummynose tetras together at 30oC and currently keeping ornatum cichlids at 28oC. as said the summer gets the tank hot but mine never went over 30oC that i noticed but it does mean heaters on constantly in the winter. my set up is a 4ft tank with 2 x 200w heaters and it doesnt fluctuate too much. it drops a degree or 2 when really cold but then it would in the wild so no harm done.

another thing to think about is the fact that the UK summers are crap so its never that hot for long :angry: and a rise from 26/27 up to 30oC wont really do any harm for short periods. you can always open a few windows and lift the lid off the tank to help cool it down. or try the other techniques already mentioned in previous answers. :good:

Thanks for all your replies.

I think I can keep the temperature under control when I am around (the conservatory has very good blinds so there is no direct sunlight and windows can be left open.

It is when I am away for any length of time that I would worry. I think then some kind of air conditioner could be used to keep the temperature under 30C.

I would use heaters in the tank for the winter.

They don't appear to be on sale now, but the Kesgrave Tropicals ebay store did have some lovely unusual rainbowfish (Pseudomugil tenellus) for sale recently, that can apprently cope with temps as high as 37C!

You would need to speak to someone with more experince than me, but I do know my Persian Killifish (Aphanius mento) have a relatiely hige tollerance of temperature, from a wintery ~4C to a summer season high of ~30C. As to how far above 30C thet can cope I don't know ("ricefish" would be worth contacting), but potentially they could be the perfect fish for your conservatory, as they eat algae as part of their diet and would probably not need a heater in the winter (a cool winter season is very beneficial for the life span).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6X-Pseudomugil-tenellus-LARGE-SIZE-Rainbowfish-/280572672818

Most Central American cichlids can handle 30c without any problem. I've kept angels in the mid 90's F, you get an incredible growth rate on fry with higher temperatures.

Thanks again. I would really like to go with cichlids if that's possible.

I am also investigating the use of a fan as a cooler. Anyone used one of these?

i doubt a fish tank would get as hot as the room temp, even in a conservatory. So it might be worth running a test (don't ask me how, bar waiting till the summer with an empty tank...)

i doubt a fish tank would get as hot as the room temp, even in a conservatory. So it might be worth running a test (don't ask me how, bar waiting till the summer with an empty tank...)
oh trust me it does last summer i had my tank going to 30-32oc all the time manages to cool by night then straight back up
i now have a pair of lined curtains ready for this year

its a pain having a tank south facing

Mine is south facing as well. It was actually impossible to go in there in hot weather before we got the blinds even with the windows open. Now it is much better.

My mum put her tank in the conservatory, and all I can say is the algae is ridiculous, and it's hard to control, even with vigorous cleaning. I'm trying to convince her to move it...so if you have a more ideal place then great, if not, I hope it wont cause you too many problems.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back