Fish Rubbing Against Rocks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RainbowPham

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My panda molly rubbed itself against a rock earlier, immediately after another yellow molly did the same, just a quick swift rub kind of like how a cat rubs his mouth up against things.. Upon research this can be a symptom of ich.. I'm not sure this is the problem as it doesn't happen often, I just so happen to watch them a lot, and it's the first time I have ever seen any of them do it.

Of course id like to get a medication for the tank, any recommendations? I saw something the other day for ich treatment at walmart, probably made by "jungle"

Other than ich is there a reason they do this, just to rub their scent, or for a quick back rub? It was kind of cute I must say

Ammonia and nitrite can cause fish to itch, If you have a testing kit I suggest checking your water for these. Itch or whitespot also cause fish to rub into things that or theres something in the water thats making them very unhappy. Somethings spraying air freshers or anything like that can get into the water and cause massive issues.

All of my tests are ok. Anyways upon inspecting my fish close up, my latest yellow molly has white spots! All over :(

I have never had this happen before I'm seeing a lot of mixed opinions online as to using commercial medicine or salt ??

What are your exact readings, and what kit do you use?

From my research the best way to treat ich is to raise the temp and add salt to the water. Are there any other types of fish in the tank or just mollies? Mollies are not sensitive salt so I think it would be a good way to go.  I believe the treatment is 1-2 tablespoons per gallon, but you would want to double check that, as well as I think the temp should be about 86 degrees. I've never encountered ich myself, so I'm just recalling things I have read through research and from reading threads like these.

Remember the treatment has to last a few weeks because of the life cycle of ich.  End too soon and you will just have a new cycle of it to deal with.  When changing water make sure you replace with warm, salty, dechlorinated water. (however many gallons you remove, add salt and dechlorinator to the new water)

I have noticed a few of my mollies and platties rubbing themselves against leaves and they sorta bounce off it - it is pretty cool to watch, but I too am concerned that it may be ich.  I have looked at them pretty close and can't see any white spots though, so I'm not sure.

I've read that Seachem Paraguard is a good product, but can't remember if that treats ich sorry.  Melafix or something like that has also been mentioned before. 

You'll want to double check the other fish you have before you start adding salt.  I know that scaleless fish, such as loaches, can't handle salt.  Neither can tetras I believe.  But I'm not an expert sorry. 

Hi!
Deans right, you can't just add meds and salt without knowing the consequences it has on other inhabitants.
If you list the tank mates we could advise,
Esha exit is good for most fish, but before you do add meds I would throughly clean the substrate of any debris and do a large water change over te course of 3-4 days keeping an eye on how they look etc. Raise the temp as this speeds up the parasites life cycle until no signs or ice are present and add salt depending on fish stock...
Adding meds shoul be a last resort as fish have to deal with the ich and having to tolerate meds which is actually a poision in high enough doses to kill parasites but low enough not to kill fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back