Fish Quiz

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Identify this fish from it's tail pattern.

000fish_01.JPG

Correct, I had to rapidly remove rummy nose tetra from my signature jusy in case ti gave a hint. I can put it back now.

Pray, continue with the next question...

Hehe wise!

Name three kinds of labyrinth fish.

Is David Bowie a fish?

Paradsie, Gouramis, Siamese Fighter.

Your turn Baccus :)

I love that film Dr Rob!

Where is a fish generally measured from to get its size?

Length is taken from the snout on the upper jaw to the end of the tail. Excludes any whiskers, barbels or hairs the creature may have.

I'll say the tip of the nose to the end of the body excluding the tail.

Both are correct, it depends on if its a scientific measurement or for recreational fishing. As a tie breaker what type of measuring tool should be used to acheive the measurement?

Ruler against tank wall and take a picture with camera as fish swims past ruler? I really haven't a clue otherwise

• Standard length (SL) refers to the length of a fish measured from the tip of the snout to the posterior end of the last vertebra or to the posterior end of the midlateral portion of the hypural plate. Simply put, this measurement excludes the length of the caudal fin.
  • Total length (TL) refers to the length of a fish measured from the tip of the snout to the tip of the longer lobe of the caudal fin, usually measured with the lobes compressed along the midline. It is a straight-line measure, not measured over the curve of the body.

• Standard length measurements are used with Teleostei (most bony fish), while total length measurements are used with Myxini (hagfish), Petromyzontiformes (lampreys), and (usually) Elasmobranchii (sharks and rays), as well as some other fishes.[2]

• In addition, fishery biologists often use a third measure in fishes with forked tails:
    Fork length (FL) refers to the length of a fish measured from the tip of the snout to the end of the middle caudal fin rays and is used in fishes in which it is difficult to tell where the vertebral column ends.
Personally, whenever I use measurements I use Standard length.

That's interesting :)  I was thinking of Standard length too, though I didn't know there were different formal measurements.

Most reactions

Back