Fish problem

nitro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ive noticed my neons flicking themselves against objects in my tank such as leaves,bogwood and slate.I dont think it is all of them,just a few. Today ive seen my BN flicking aswell but only once so far. :(

The last fish i added to the tank were the neons about 2months ago.

They are all eating well and showing healthy colours. They dont have any heavy breathing.

Anybody tell me whats wrong and what to do?

Thanks

Firstly, are you medicating the tank for anything as this can cause irritation.

If not, you are probably seeing the first symptoms of ich or velvet. I would start treating the whole tank from now in the hope of irradicating it before it even makes an appearance. There are plenty of suitable treatments and they won't harm your biological filtration.

Also, ich can also be introduced by plants, not only fish, as both can be infected. As such, new additions of plants are just as likely to cause problems as new fish.

A high temperature helps speed up the life cycle, ultimately killing the ich parasite and aids in treatment.

No im not medicating at the mo.

I would think it would be velvetnot ick because ive treated ick before and never seen any of these syptoms.

so i will treat for velvet right? however i can't see any dust on the fish?

Flicking is usualy a sign of ich, but if I'm not mistaken I think most velvet meds also treat ich

Ok i have both Ick and Velvet treatment but only the ick one doesnt affect the bacteria.

Should i go ahead and treat the tank with ick?

Another thing should till tommorw because this is when i do my weekly water change or do a water change today instead and then treat the tank afterwards?

You want to nip this in the bud asap really, I would water change today and start with the ich med

Update.

Ivei treated them with ich last thursday. Did a 10% water change on Monday and re dosed.

Today i am still seeing some flicking against objects :(

How long should i keep treating for?

I've always had best results woth treatments that span over a few days, 1 off meds rarely work because Ich has to be treated at specific times in its life cycle.

From what I have read Ich can not be treated when on the fish but should be treated in its free swimming part of the life cycle or when the spores are in the gravel.

The ich meds I have had best results with work by treating every other day for a week, or on days 1,2,3,5,7 for example

I know about the ich cycle.

Ive used this medication before and has worked because where as before when the fish had white spots the treatment got rif of them in a couple of days.

Im doubting that i should be treating for ich.

Another update.

Ive did a 10% water change yesterday and re-dosed again because i am stil seeing flicking in one or two fish.

Ive raised the temp upto 28 aswell. :unsure:

Why is it taking so long? It really starting to annoy me :crazy:

It's not ich, stop treating for it. Heat will not kill ich, it only speeds up its life cycle. If your fish are only occasionally flicking against tank objects very quickly it is just an expression of territorality. It should calm down as a pecking order is established.

Most reactions

trending

Back