Fish larger than average

trying to say the moderator can identify your fish if he sees a pic

Attachments

• B761CEB4-C9BE-4E21-9E4F-FF8B6E1C30BD.jpeg
    B761CEB4-C9BE-4E21-9E4F-FF8B6E1C30BD.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 42
Glad you put a pic up. Was it photographed under a blue LED light strip? I have a LED for my goldfish that does low white, high white (which isnā€˜t all that intense) & blue. Iā€™ve heard the blue encourages algae growth & havenā€˜t much used it except to see how it looks. Makes the goldfish a really cool deep florescent color.

Iā€˜m hoping someone here can identify your fish. I would not rule it out as the type you think it is, based solely upon itā€˜s current size. There are always animals below & above the normal range. A branch of my family has men up to 6ā€™10ā€, freaky tall to me!

Glad you put a pic up. Was it photographed under a blue LED light strip? I have a LED for my goldfish that does low white, high white (which isnā€˜t all that intense) & blue. Iā€™ve heard the blue encourages algae growth & havenā€˜t much used it except to see how it looks. Makes the goldfish a really cool deep florescent color.

Iā€˜m hoping someone here can identify your fish. I would not rule it out as the type you think it is, based solely upon itā€˜s current size. There are always animals below & above the normal range. A branch of my family has men up to 6ā€™10ā€, freaky tall to me!
The photo was taken under my Fluval spec light https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/spec-v-slip-on-led-light-black/

It is indeed an oto, but I've never heard of one growing that large...doesn't mean it isn't possible, I suppose

I have a Fluval Aquasky 2, I think itā€™s called. Keep the blue turned off except for a brief sunrise/sunset after being told at this forum blue encourage algae.

there are several different species of otto which grow to different sizes; also females tend to be larger than males though that fish looks more streamline (maleish). If you get a better picture with all the markings someone might be able to identify the exact species.

To be honest when i first saw the image i'm not even sure that is a otto; it is definitely shaped different than the ones I have.

Last edited:
there are several different species of otto which grow to different sizes; also females tend to be larger than females though that fish looks more streamline (maleish). If you get a better picture with all the markings someone might be able to identify the exact species.

To be honest when i first saw the image i'm not even sure that is a otto; it is definitely shaped different than the ones I have.
What kind of otos do you have? the pet store told me it was an otocinclus catfish.

I suspect i have vittatus as they are among the most common but i'm not sure - if you go to this site you can see many of the different species:
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=107

(there is a drop down box where you can switch to different species to compare them)

(as an example affinis which you do not have gets to around 2 inches while vittatus is around 1.3 inches.

(I woudl like batmani named after the bat pattern on their tail ;) )

I suspect i have vittatus as they are among the most common but i'm not sure - if you go to this site you can see many of the different species:
https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=107

(there is a drop down box where you can switch to different species to compare them)

(as an example affinis which you do not have gets to around 2 inches while vittatus is around 1.3 inches.

(I woudl like batmani named after the bat pattern on their tail ;) )
Here are some photos of the pattern on my oto

Attachments

• E6AE506C-C914-4B2A-8424-34BD21065AB4.jpeg
    E6AE506C-C914-4B2A-8424-34BD21065AB4.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 26
  • F3D5B10B-ED37-4528-9580-C5FB3F7AD056.jpeg
    F3D5B10B-ED37-4528-9580-C5FB3F7AD056.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 34
I'm leaning towards vittatus but it would take an expert like @DoubleDutch; i'm just a newbie you can't expect me to identify the species.

I'm leaning towards vittatus but it would take an expert like @DoubleDutch; i'm just a newbie you can't expect me to identify the species.
I am definitely not an expert on Otocinclus but what I know several different species are imported (even species we don't know in the trade) and sold mixed up / mislabeled so this could definitely could be a different / or even an unknown species.

They are quite hard to ID. Often the tailspot can tell something.

Most reactions

Back