Fish in cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well this info is terrible. I was given the wrong advice on my betta Facebook groups on cycling I guess.

I've no idea what that advice was, but when you cycle a new tank with fish present, it is not without its problems for the fish. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic, and the way these affect fish is probably why you are seeing increased respiration. Adding chemicals or substances to the water aggravates this.

The underlying issue is that many aquarists do not understand the incredibly complex inter-relationship that exists between fish and their aquatic environment, much more complex than any terrestrial animal on land.

Well this info is terrible. I was given the wrong advice on my betta Facebook groups on cycling I guess.
Getting advice from Facebook is worse than talking to your local pet shop :)

Most people on Facebook give one sentence answers and generally don't have a good grasp on water quality, fish diseases or fish anatomy. They might have a few fish that are doing well, but unless they know about water chemistry (filter cycles, etc) they are generally offering ideas based on minimal experience. And that is not always the best. :)

----------------------
When doing a fish in cycle (having fish in the tank while the filters develop), you do a big (75%) water change each day, keep feeding down to once every couple of days, and have lots of surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

When fish are stressed they need more oxygen to survive and this is accomplished by increasing aeration.

Big 75% water changes dilute nutrients like ammonia and nitrite much more effectively than small water changes.

The less food going into the tank, the less ammonia that is produced and the less stress on the fish. :)

Most reactions

Back