fish in 25 gallon

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Mike123

Reaction score
I currently have a 25gal with a Aquaclear 200 powerfilter, I have 5 sunset Platies, 6 blue Platies, and one silver sailfin molly, how many, and what kind of fish can I add that wil be happy to live with these fish

You have a pretty good selection going on there already and not real sure on the sizes your platys will get but you are going to want to add to many more fish to that tank. Maybe a couple of corys or one of the smaller spieces of plecos and that would be about it IMHO

Les

I would like to get something that eats algae, and possibly the crap off the bottom, and also doesn't mind 1 tblspoon/5 gallons of salt in the tank.

Well your not going to like this but most algae eaters arent going to like you salt levels.....You can get away with some salt in the tank but not that level........not to mention to just drop them in to it.....
cory cats will clean the bottom and a plec will get the sides but your gonna have to be careful with them and sand

Les

Thats what I've been reading, I have noticed that if the platies and Molly aren't feed flakes everyday, they will start to eat the algae off some of the ornaments, the molly especially seems to like it.

Yes you are correct, if your platys and mollys are hungry and sometimes even if they arent the will eat algae off of rock and the decor, but to get the glass your gonna need to get a pleco.....
With that said, your livebearer fish will all do fine in a tank that doesnt have salt. I use a little salt in mine but not alot, andI have never had problems.

Les

yeah I've heard that salt isn't necessary.. but I'm really worried about diseases . espeicaly ICH.. and I've heard salt lowers the chances of it appearing.

Its not that the salt is going to prevent the ICH its more like a general tonic thats supposed to help the fish reduce strees and keep the ICH from setting in. You have ICH in your tank right now more than likely, its just that your fish are healthy and they can fight it off

Les

You might want to look towards a single Ramshorn snail, the one we have in our community tank does a good job of cleaning out the algae and seems to be tolerent of salt.

Most reactions

Back