Fish dieing :(

Straggyleafs

Reaction score
Hey guys i recently got a fish tank about 200 liters
it is running a filterjet 900 filter from tetra
Its setup for about 4 months now ive had fish for a while
All my new fish i got are now dieing 1-2 deaths each morning
I checked the water parameters they are all in the green areas of my Pro jbl aquatest
At first it was only the new albino coridoras i bought and some kuhli loaches
Later some of my older fish died aswell 2 and now all the new ones seem to die of one by one
Most of my fish are fine theyh dont act weird eat etc

You are probably seeing the results of no quarantine. The new fish went first, so they carried something in. Most of the time, all you can do is wait it out.

I added medicine to the tank 5 days ago called omnipur s for all common tropical fish desease
i hope this will kill it of if there is some kind of desease still 1 death today but this was already a fish that couldnt swim anymore tried to save him by hand feeding
My water is green should i do a water change after 7 days or will the medicine desolve on its own ?

It is usual do do a water change every week as part of routine tank maintenance. Most of us do a 50% water every week. A 50% water change will remove half the medicine.
You can also put some carbon or charcoal in the filter and this will remove a lot of the medicine. The instruction also say to use carbon after treatment has finished. The carbon or charcoal should be removed and thrown away after 2 days.

Okay ty yes i do the weekly water change aswell but i did not know how it worked with the medicine
Good i have charcoal laying around but took it out because i read the medicine will not work
I will do a 50 procent water change after 2 days then add charcoal for 2 days
ty

I looked up omnipur as it's illegal where I live - acriflavene is a known carcinogen although the amounts in the med would not worry me. It's non antibiotic, and is useful against skin parasites, not internal infections. You described what sounds to me to be something internal.
It would be great to fight Ich or velvet parasites.
So you do a weekly water change of about 30%, for as long as you have the tank. That's basic fishcare. You can't know if the problem is a virus or a bacteria, and you have no access to meds without access to that info.
As hard as it is, you take care of the tank and hope the remaining fish recover on their own, with good care. When we try to be fish doctors, we have very few resources.

Ty for answering so far no deaths anymore i will have to check tomorrow
Btw waths the fish is it some type of killifish ?

Ty for answering so far no deaths anymore i will have to check tomorrow
Btw waths the fish is it some type of killifish ?
Yes he is a bit partial to killifish. Good luck with your predicament. I know it can be stressful. Careful when introducing new fish to a stable/established set up. Well any set up, but especially an established one, as it can be extra heartache.

I checked the water parameters they are all in the green areas of my Pro jbl aquatest
Always quote actual numbers for the test results. The green areas may not all be ideal, they are at best generic, at worst arbitrary. If you post a photo of the test it will help those of us who don't have that brand.

Some medications can kill off beneficial bacteria so monitor ammonia and nitrite levels after use.

Most reactions

trending

Back