Fish Count

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jmain

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As most of yall have got to know I'm new to this and I'm a posting fool but I was sitting around thinking about this and figured I would see what opinions I get in this section.

Here is what I'm thinking about putting in my tank (75 us gallon)

1 pleco
5 cory cats
5 black skirts
5 red eyes
5 minnows
1 serpa
5 dalmation mollys

Problem with all this is I'm worried about the max size (I know the fish won't grow to max but still can get close to it.) Should I stick to the 1 in per gallon rule (even though I got the extra airration from the bubbles since I have the water fountain, bridge, and filter all creating bubbles in the tank.

Thanks

I dont think you are nearing full stock in a 75 gallon tank, how big is this like length and width? What kind of filtration do you have? As far as aeration goes it will be really good for the fish that are in and the gas exchange helps but it wont make any really drastic change in stocking it, like I say it will just keep your fish healthier.

With the fish first thing with the pleco are you getting a common? As these get huge much much bigger than all the other fish you have in there. How ever there are tons of types of pleco (like with any other fish) if you look for the catfish part of this forum and then the pleco subsection in there, someone has very kindly made a list of gorgeous L number pleco that stay under 8 inches (L numbers are used because they found so many different types so quickly it was too hard to make names for them) usually most of these are available from most fish stores.

With the schools you could probably do to put a few more in them especially the cories they will love it if you put 8 of the same kind in. And the tetras and minnows will as well. When you say serpa do you mean serpae tetras? If so again these need to be in a group of 5 or more. Personally I prefer to have maybe 2 large schools of fish with maybe 10 -15 of each rather than 4 smaller ones but I understand having small ones for variety.

Do you know about fishless cycling as it really is the best way to go. :)
Hope thats helped
Wills

I dont think you are nearing full stock in a 75 gallon tank, how big is this like length and width? What kind of filtration do you have? As far as aeration goes it will be really good for the fish that are in and the gas exchange helps but it wont make any really drastic change in stocking it, like I say it will just keep your fish healthier.

With the fish first thing with the pleco are you getting a common? As these get huge much much bigger than all the other fish you have in there. How ever there are tons of types of pleco (like with any other fish) if you look for the catfish part of this forum and then the pleco subsection in there, someone has very kindly made a list of gorgeous L number pleco that stay under 8 inches (L numbers are used because they found so many different types so quickly it was too hard to make names for them) usually most of these are available from most fish stores.

With the schools you could probably do to put a few more in them especially the cories they will love it if you put 8 of the same kind in. And the tetras and minnows will as well. When you say serpa do you mean serpae tetras? If so again these need to be in a group of 5 or more. Personally I prefer to have maybe 2 large schools of fish with maybe 10 -15 of each rather than 4 smaller ones but I understand having small ones for variety.

Do you know about fishless cycling as it really is the best way to go. :)
Hope thats helped
Wills

my tank is 48 x 18 x 21 I have a common pleco and I have an emerald cory cat. Aeriation I have an emperor 400 and then under gravel filter with 4 power heads.

The serpa tetra killed off the other two guys I had with him thats why I'm down to one :( so I'm kinda worried about getting any more of them incase he kills them also.

so thats 62 uk gallons. i agree i think you would be fine stocking these fish aslong as your filteration is up to spec. why dont you take the tetra back and maybe get a group of some other tetras? also just a thought about what type of minnows as they do not tollerate the same heat the other fish will.

so thats 62 uk gallons. i agree i think you would be fine stocking these fish aslong as your filteration is up to spec. why dont you take the tetra back and maybe get a group of some other tetras? also just a thought about what type of minnows as they do not tollerate the same heat the other fish will.

The only reason I still like the tetra is he/she is a really bright orange and right now is the most colorful fish in my tank. I'm not sure the type of minnow (I volunteer at a rescue and rehabilitation center and I got some seasoned gravel/water and the minnow accidently got mixed into the water.)

Also I have the temp of my tank is right around 80 degrees give or tank the lowest I have seen it was like 78 and highest was 82.

I really want to get a big school of dalmation and I want to grow the school of my tetra skirts but of course like I said I wanted to see what others thought about my numbers before I thought about tweaking them anymore.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back