Fish Constantly Swimming Up And Down Agaisnt Wall

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dizzied

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My livebearer/cory tank problems seem to be continuing.

I've had three of the fishes die on me over the past week, but the remainder seem to look fine. Most of them are swimming up and down agaisnt the side of the aquarium all day long. They do nothing else, except eating. Is there something wrong with them, or did they all just choose to act strange today?

Water is fine, 0-0-10.

My livebearer/cory tank problems seem to be continuing.

I've had three of the fishes die on me over the past week, but the remainder seem to look fine. Most of them are swimming up and down agaisnt the side of the aquarium all day long. They do nothing else, except eating. Is there something wrong with them, or did they all just choose to act strange today?

Water is fine, 0-0-10.

Hi, someone asked this question before, and i think someone mentioned it could be due to high levels of ammonia. I have 8 plattys which do the same sometimes and my water perameters are fine.

I have seen a lot of these types of questions as well and the most common answer I have read is "I dont know!". Some suggestions have been that the fish may be acting this way because of a recent change in decorating of the tank or a new addition to the tank. I have also heard that this could be due to a the fish having a less than dominant postition in the tank. However, I do not think that it is completely weird because I have seen this behavior alot in my own tank and I have seen this question posted alot.

I would say that if your water parameters are all normal and your water quality is up to par as for the fish you are keeping, this could mean absolutely nothing or at least nothing important enough to worry about it. Maybe it is the fish's reaction to the fish you had die being gone.

Oh, I have come to the assumption that my livebearers do this alot because I have a 'bubble curtain' running in the tank. I turned it off one time out of curiousity and they quit doing it about a day later.

Pretty strange. The only fish not doing this is one of the cories. Though he did it a few times too just to follow the other cory. Both weird and cute.

One of my friends thought they might be reacting to the heavy rainstorm outside. Though, I doubt my fish suddenly decided they were all weather loaches.

Believe it or not, but I have read a couple times that fish are not really affected by thunder or loud music since it is harder for sound waves to go through water, especially after they have to go through glass. So unless there are some atmosheric changes that fish can sense for whatever reason, I dont think that a storm would affect much.

I recently moved my clown loaches into another tank and they did the same thing for a couple days. It was weird because I have hardly ever seen them swim above 6 or 7 inches above the bottom of the tank, but they stopped doing it now and everything is ok.

I would keep an eye on the tank just to be safe, but until the fish start jumping out I wouldnt be too worried. Maybe keeping a lid on the tank would be a good way to make sure they arent jumping out too, but I doubt you will have too many problems unless your fish are naturally prone to jumping out.

my killies do that, they only do it on the side of the tank where the light is so maybe their attracted to the light or the heat coming off of the light but i dont know because a lot of things have happend the past few days. Like the fish all came in the mail except for the male I already had and he does it, It could be because of the new female. I wouldnt worry about it because even my bettas do it from time to time.

ive always put it down to stress (cos some of my fish so it when being moved to a different tank) or the fact they can see there own reflection and are playing/trying to attack or jus get to themselves in the reflection.

try covering the side there doing it at and see if they still do it.

My Polka Dot Loaches used to do it all the time. They would do laps around my heater. It was pretty entertaining but I don't know how they don't get dizzy doing it.

Believe it or not, but I have read a couple times that fish are not really affected by thunder or loud music since it is harder for sound waves to go through water, especially after they have to go through glass.

It is in fact far far easier for sound waves to travel through water than through air, especially at lower frequencies. It's the reason whales can hear each other tens and hundreds of Km apart. Try sticking your head under the water in the bath and knocking the tub with your knuckles.

Believe it or not, but I have read a couple times that fish are not really affected by thunder or loud music since it is harder for sound waves to go through water, especially after they have to go through glass.

It is in fact far far easier for sound waves to travel through water than through air, especially at lower frequencies. It's the reason whales can hear each other tens and hundreds of Km apart. Try sticking your head under the water in the bath and knocking the tub with your knuckles.

Agreed sound travels best through water... I have seen my fish do this and think it is looking at a reflection. Is there any difference between the 2 sides in terms of current or reflective material?

my harlequins did this for the whole day, for about a week...
i got a different filter, and now they are only doing it for about 5min per week (as far as i can see). i just blamed it on the current from the old filter or maybe a reflection in the glass as they always did it on the same side of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back