Fish combination

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ninjaginger

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an 18 gallon(uk) tank. Temp is 24/25, pH 7.2, live planting, with bogwood and slate caves.

I'm hoping to get:

2 x Red Whiptail Catfish (L010a) (definate)
3 x guppies (1m,2f)
3 x platies (1m/2f)
2 - 3 x cherry barbs

Will this work? Is it overstocked?

I've heard that barbs can be nasty but cherry barbs are ok. Is this true? I've included them as a friend told me this would help to control the number of fry from the livebearers. Again is this right?

The guppies, platies and barbs aren't definate so if anyone has any better suggestions i'd love to hear them.

Also if anyone has experience with the L010a's, i'd be greatful for any advice.

Thank you

Hi,

I'm sure all fish have different personalities, but I had 2 cherry barbs. They fin nipped my guppies and terrorised all my other fish, chasing them around. Maybe these fish are similar to tiger barbs in that they are better in bigger groups?

I'm not going to tell you what fish to get, but I had also had guppies...2 males and 3 females and they bred a lot and although most of the fry were eaten I din't like the fact that the males harrased the females all the time :( My females didn't look so happy so I ended up buying another tank to give the females a new home.

Also if you can't rehome the fry then obviously you'll be stuck with more guppies, which you might not want and you'll have less room for any fish you do want.

I'm by far and expert on fish, these are just my opinions and from my own experience.

I couldn't find masses of info on your Red Whiptail Catfish - it says they grow to 6-10 inches. And that a 30" tank is the minimum. Also says that 2 males will fight.
http://www.petresources.net/fish/catfish/hem_sp.html - thats the site I found. IS that the right fish? For more info on these you might want to post in the catfish forum.

the shop where i'm getting them from suggested reading up on L010a at planetcatfish.

I can't find any definative info on the L010a's. Planetcatfish say they grow to 4.4 inches, others say 4 or 5, and the site houndour suggested says up 10! not sure what to believe. i'll ask in the catfish forum about this.

Also i'm dropping the cherry barbs. too scared they'll eat or nip my other fish.

What other smallish mid water fish should i have a look of, bcoz now i'm worried about an invasion of fry overcrowding my tank.

things like neons and so?

cheers

I think your stocking levels are fine, no problem there.

3 or 4 danios should work, very active fish and a good addition to any aquarium. People have suggested problems with Guppies and danios but in my experience if you have enough danios, they just chase each other around and ignore anything else.

Tetra's would be another option, Serpae's, Black phantom, neons....take your pick.

Well.

I found a couple of snails (9) yesterday so i'm rethinking my plan. I've been looking at a few of the little loaches i.e. botia striata. but i know they need to be kept in groups.

will they get along with the whip? (i might only be getting one now.) or are there other alternatives to the loaches? i read a post somewhere that their leopard frog plec was eating snails but again i've heard these are terratorial (sp?).

so far the plan now stands at

1 x red whiptail catfish
6 x tetras (neons, glowlights) - will they shoal together?
3 - 4 X loaches (if i have to but i still think they look ugly) (sorry to any loach lovers) :*)

plus i can't help but look at a betta? they are so beautiful. but am i being unrealistic? i've heard they don't like a current or tankmates.

cheers X

You don't have to have female guppies - maybe just get 3 males?

I prefer mollies to platies, but they get bigger.

My fav. fish from my current tank is the pair of ramerezis - they are pretty small and very funky looking.

aj xx

i know it sounds stupid but i never occured to me to keep all male groups. certainly stop the fry invasion. and they won't get all macho and fight among themselves? or try and take on the other fish?

x

hey Ninja,

I'm considering male guppies too. I don't think they fight. I kept 3 together with no females and they weren't a problem.

I've done a fair bit of research into keeping a male betta in a community tank. You'll find that some people successfully keep them in the community tank, but most betta fans seem to say not to put bettas at all in a community tank. I've personally decided against a betta inmy tank now. But I'm going to set up my small hex tank just for a betta after I've done this one!

I'm also looking into Botia. I think they are gorgeous! Do you really think they are ugly? I love their markings. I've been recommended the striata and golden zebra loach (forget the scientific name).

It's tough deciding what fish to stock :)

houndour said:
I'm considering male guppies too. I don't think they fight. I kept 3 together with no females and they weren't a problem.
Male guppies particularly showy tailed guppies can be known to fin nip each other. But they might be OK. A male Betta of the right temperament is fine in a community tank, in my experience.

Cheers, Good luck on choosing new fish you lucky bugger! :D

yeah, personally i trialed by betta in my 15g and it was fine, some bettas are just ok with community i guess!

I have a betta in my 29 gallon with a variety of different fish (see sig) and it is fine with them all and has been for the past year.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back