fish & cheese

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

millym

Fish Herder
Reaction score
bit of a dumb one here!! but....our barbs have not been eating much since we turned the tank blue by treating them with methylene blue stuff for parasites(they used to go mad for food) we read that fish like cheddar cheese so worried about them being hungry we tried it & they (& all the other occupants of our tank ) went mad for it.

is this ok? is tesco's cheddar cheese compatible with fish tummies??? we're bit worried that its not good for them. or might bung them up or something nasty like that. :unsure:

Have you tried the barbs with blanched lettuce leaves, peeled cucumber or peas, (shelled peas with the inner skin taken off, so there are two hemispherical pieces boiled a little if to hard)?

ive fed cheese to my fish and they love it........as already said it is a bit fattening but if they havent been feeding too well then they would get all the nutrients that theyve missed out on from the cheese

it shouldnt bung them up at all......ive read that lots of fish swallow small bits of gravel to help mash up the food in their tummies

i wouldnt worry bout it and give them the lil cheesy treat once a week

Tek :fish:

AcK!! :crazy: Please do NOT feed your fish cheese. They do not have the ability to break down or properly digest animal fat. In time, it will kill them.

AquaNut said:
AcK!! :crazy: Please do NOT feed your fish cheese. They do not have the ability to break down or properly digest animal fat. In time, it will kill them.
It's probably not the fat but the caseine (milk protein). The enzyme to digest caseine is pretty rare in mammals and even many humans find it difficult. It is highly unlikely that fish have the enzymes to digest mammalian milk protein!

I know they cannot digest fat from warm blooded animals, this is why it's so important to use only the LEANEST parts of muscle when feeding beef heart. They probably can't digest the mammalian milk proteins, either. No matter what, cheese is not on the menu for fish.

how about garlic...i heard that was good for your fish :huh:

>>> how about garlic...i heard that was good for your fish

Maybe, but would you want to kiss one afterwards? ;)

i dont know about it being bad for your fish, but when i was a kid we would use bread and cheese for bait, and it was always better than the fake worm baits :/ between all my friends we only had enough money for lunch anyway lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back