Fish Breeding: Is This Setup Okay?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JasonMichael

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a spare tank laying around and I was thinking of giving fish breeding ago. I've recently gotten into the L series of plecos which are just stunning, but I'm going to try and breed some Peppermints and normal Bristlenose first before getting into the breeding of the L series plecos. I just wanted to know if this setup would be okay, or if I need a bigger tank etc. 

It's a 54 litre Juwel aquarium, I can either use the filter provided which is 280 lph, or the Fluval U2 filter which is 400 lph, also have the heater, rocks, caves etc. 

Would the above tank and filter be enough to try breeding some bristnose? Or would I need a bigger tank with a bigger filter system? If so, could anyone please recommend a good starting point for a size of tank and filter? 

Thanks! 

It's probably a bit small for BNs, tbh, but if you want to use it for breeding, you could try killifish or rare livebearers?

the_lock_man said:
It's probably a bit small for BNs, tbh, but if you want to use it for breeding, you could try killifish or rare livebearers?
Thats cool, what size would you recommend for BN? 

There are to parts to spawning fish. The first is getting the babies. This is usually the easier part. The second is growing them out. Plecos in spawning mode will spawn about once a month or a tad more. Bn start with smaller spawns and as the fish get bigger so do the spawns. My final one from my breeders years back was over 100 fry. But early on its more like 25-30.

But it takes about 3 months minimum to get bn to minimum selling'shipping size, so before you can even sell or trade one, you can have over 100. You can not have this all in a 54l tank. And if you have more than one viable duo, you could have two sets spawning.

Assuming that your tank is 60x30x30cm, I would argue that it is just big enough for two bristlenoses based on personal experience. They are not particularly active fish (especially as they mature) so do not require a great deal of space. As stated above though, your tank will become overstocked once all the fry begin to mature, so a larger tank (3ft long) would be more ideal, especially if you plan on breeding slightly larger Plecos in the future.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back