Fish behaviour

MajorMediocre

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the hobby, had fish in my tank for just over a week. Specifically, Neon Tetra and Gold Zebra Danios.

Basically, I've noticed the Danios chase each other constantly. Meanwhile, the Tetras spend most of their time in the bottom right corner of the tank, and rarely venture from there. Sometimes the Danios chase the Tetras too.

Is this behaviour I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance.

Post a video showing the behaviour.
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and doesn't have black bars on each end.

Test the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
What is the temperature of the water?

Constant chasing is normal for danios. Sounds like they’re keeping the neons stressed by chasing them also. Adding some other fish, if possible, should change that.

I just did a water change, but about two days ago all three were 0ppm. Ph about 7.4 and temperature is 25°C.

Constant chasing is normal for danios. Sounds like they’re keeping the neons stressed by chasing them also. Adding some other fish, if possible, should change that.
Adding more Danios or more Tetras? The is already reasonably full.

Post a video showing the behaviour.
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and doesn't have black bars on each end.

Test the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
What is the temperature of the water?

That is danios being danios. They are hyperactive fish and having bigger groups reduces the stress on other fishes in the tank with them. However, it's a small tank so you couldn't add many more (maybe 4 or 5).

Zebra danios need a tank that is 90cm long. My advice is to buy a large tank for the danios.
If you then want to add other species check their requirements and compatibility on Seriouslyfish.com, and by asking here, before making a purchase.
That is an attractive tank.

Nice looking tank! How big is it?

I agree with what's already been said. Zebra danios are extremely active, boisterous fish that need a larger tank and larger groups than you might think from their size. I had a group in a 55 gallon, and I ended up giving them away because they kept my gouramis stressed out with their constant motion.

I would either rehome the danios and get more neons, or rehome the neons and get more danios. They just aren't doing well together.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back