Fish and filtering in the 55 gallon

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FloridaFishGuy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am planning on getting a 55 gallon tank soon. Looking at the tanks on this website they have alot of filtering. I was wondering on what filter i would need to keeps some electric yellows and another type of mbuna. Also i was wondering what type of mbuna would go with and look good with the electric yellows. I was thinking of some kind of blue fish but i dont know of any.

IMO, BIO-filters are the best. Others like different filters so you'll have to probably decide for yourself in the end on what you read from all of us. I would get an Emperor 400 for your 55g. It has 2 puimps and 4 compartments for filter media also which is really nice. This is my fav filter.

As far as blue Mbunas go, not sure what's available in your lfs or area but as far as a couple of most common Mbunas that are blue would be Ps. socolofi. Ps. demasoni and Ps. lomordoi. (Females only tho) Per the lombordio (or kenyi, the common name) they all start out blue with black stripes but then as they mature the males turn yellow. The females stay the same color and subdominate males will try to stay in the female coloration as long as possible to keep out of the way of the dom male.

IMO, a 330 would probably be fine. More is always better but the Penguin 330 would turn your tank over 6 times an hour which is sufficient.

Most reactions

Back