First Signs Of Algae

john starkey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all, my plants are doing really well but today i noticed the first signs of algae, my lighting at the moment is being run like so two middle tubes on for 4 hrs then all four tubes on for 2 hrs then outer two tubes on for the final four hrs, co2 starts i hr before lights on then goes off one hour before lights off, i am dosing using the ei method at the stated amounts kno3 one and a half tea spoons, kh2po4 half a tea spoon, k2so4 half a tea spoon all three times a week, the trace i am using is tropica plant nutrition half a tea spoon three times a week. the co2 is diffused at 3 bps and the drop checker is a nice green colour, the type of algae is a green stringy type and slimy to the feel , i have removed most of it with my tweezers it s not bad but i wondered if there is anything i can do to try to prevent it getting out of hand. i was thinking could it be due to dead spots from lack of circulation as my filters have only been going for two weeks and i have them set at half speed because if a have them any higher the plants become dislodged, any help would be greatly appreciated kindest regards john.

If its thread algae then i have usually been told it is from ammonia maybe leaking from the substrate (or someone disturbing the substrate...ahem...ahem)

If you have been disturbing the substrate i.e. replanting or moving then try leaving it for a while.

Meanwhile ½ teaspoon of TPN sounds very very small to me!! Can't remember what size tank you have but I know its much bigger than my 125Ltr and I dose 6ml each time (3x a week) therefore I wouls assume that ½ teaspoon is 2-3ml and yours should be upward of 2 teaspoons maybe around the 12-15ml a time mark!!!

I wouldn't worry too much if all you have is one type of algae. A new tank will normally get loads and loads and loads.

Keep going John, plant heavily and leave leave leave. be patient and resist the urge

andy

If its thread algae then i have usually been told it is from ammonia maybe leaking from the substrate (or someone disturbing the substrate...ahem...ahem)

If you have been disturbing the substrate i.e. replanting or moving then try leaving it for a while.

Meanwhile ½ teaspoon of TPN sounds very very small to me!! Can't remember what size tank you have but I know its much bigger than my 125Ltr and I dose 6ml each time (3x a week) therefore I wouls assume that ½ teaspoon is 2-3ml and yours should be upward of 2 teaspoons maybe around the 12-15ml a time mark!!!

I wouldn't worry too much if all you have is one type of algae. A new tank will normally get loads and loads and loads.

Keep going John, plant heavily and leave leave leave. be patient and resist the urge

andy

HI Andy, i dosed according to james Cs web site maybe i should go to the next tank size for dosing and see how that goes my tank size is 5x 2x2 and i have 94 gals after dissplacement, i will definitley up my tpn, thanks for your advice andy,regards john.

Are you fishless cycling? I found after about 2.5-3 weeks I got LOADS of hair algae. Once the tank had finished cycling though it all died off within a week and touch wood I'm now algae free (except for a little staghorn that came after I replants 1/4 of the tank).

Are you fishless cycling? I found after about 2.5-3 weeks I got LOADS of hair algae. Once the tank had finished cycling though it all died off within a week and touch wood I'm now algae free (except for a little staghorn that came after I replants 1/4 of the tank).

Hi Barney, i am fishless cycling but i added 20 amano shrimp a week last sunday they all seem fine and i am testing every day and everything is getting better daily i dont plan to add any fish for at least another 10 weeks regards john.

In that case then its probably just due to there being plenty of ammonia and nitrate to go around, add to the fact that the plants are only just getting themselves going and this probably explains it. Just keep removing the algae by hand, maybe do a few more water changes to help lower the available ammonia/nitrates (I did a 20-30% WC every couple of days while it was cycling which seemed to help).

Should go away once the tank has finished the cycle and the plants get going.

In that case then its probably just due to there being plenty of ammonia and nitrate to go around, add to the fact that the plants are only just getting themselves going and this probably explains it. Just keep removing the algae by hand, maybe do a few more water changes to help lower the available ammonia/nitrates (I did a 20-30% WC every couple of days while it was cycling which seemed to help).

Should go away once the tank has finished the cycle and the plants get going.

Thanks Barney, i think i will do more water changes and keep removeing the algae by hand see how it go,s regards john.

Every new tank will get algae its just a fact of life. I find amano shirmp are good at keeping most thread algae types at bay. As you've not got any fish, why not also run the CO2 until the lights out? No point having the last hr with the CO2 levels dropping. FYI I run my CO2 24/7 with no fish problems so dont worry to much about doing it for their sake.

Sam

PS - just checked the tropica website, it says 'We recommend 5 mL per 50 L water per week', I know you're dosing 3x per week, but Andy might be right about upping the dose. My EI nano gets 1ml per 10lt 3x per week, as did George's.

Yeah also with the EI method under high light you're geting a quicker uptake so even the 5ml per 50 is a little low.

Mine works out at 6ml x 3days = 18ml divided by 125Ltrs = 0.144ml x 50 Ltrs = 7.2ml per 50Ltrs (closer than I thought actually. lol

Andy

Yeah also with the EI method under high light you're geting a quicker uptake so even the 5ml per 50 is a little low.

Mine works out at 6ml x 3days = 18ml divided by 125Ltrs = 0.144ml x 50 Ltrs = 7.2ml per 50Ltrs (closer than I thought actually. lol

Andy

Hi Andy, i upped the dosage of tpn to 30ml today maths isnt my strongest subject :rolleyes: i have a 60x20 x24 or 151x51x60cm in new money,this gives me a volume of 472 ltrs / 104 gals us = 124.69 gals probable volume = 425 ltrs / 94 gals 112 us gals do you think i should be adding more or should i see how it goes at 30 mls, regards john

Every new tank will get algae its just a fact of life. I find amano shirmp are good at keeping most thread algae types at bay. As you've not got any fish, why not also run the CO2 until the lights out? No point having the last hr with the CO2 levels dropping. FYI I run my CO2 24/7 with no fish problems so dont worry to much about doing it for their sake.

Sam

PS - just checked the tropica website, it says 'We recommend 5 mL per 50 L water per week', I know you're dosing 3x per week, but Andy might be right about upping the dose. My EI nano gets 1ml per 10lt 3x per week, as did George's.

Hi Sam, thanks for the advice i think i will do as you say and leave the co2 on until the lights go off, i am pleased with thinks at the moment but since i retired i dont seem to be at home as much as before :rolleyes: regards john

I would've though between 20-30 would be right. watch and see but thats gonna cost you in the long run.

Teach to buy such a large tank and go hi tec with it. lol

My next tanks gonna be low tech and no CO2.

I thought my spending had spiralled out of control at £1100 on a 125Ltr in 6 months but you must have worked damn damn hard to be able to afford what you're spending in retirement. lol

I calculate that I use 18ml a week on the 125Ltr so a 500ml bottle should last 27+ weeks

If you use 90ml a week that would make 6 weeks +. lol

If you were to use the same ratio as me per litre (I think I dose a little over) it would be 68ml per week which equates to 23ml (3 x a week) and that will then last 7 weeks +. lol

Get the 10 Litre cannister or whatever the larger size is. Its a big saving on the500ml I know that I think its about £80 whereas the 500ml is about £16 so definate saving in the long run.

Andy

I would've though between 20-30 would be right. watch and see but thats gonna cost you in the long run.

Teach to buy such a large tank and go hi tec with it. lol

My next tanks gonna be low tech and no CO2.

I thought my spending had spiralled out of control at £1100 on a 125Ltr in 6 months but you must have worked damn damn hard to be able to afford what you're spending in retirement. lol

I calculate that I use 18ml a week on the 125Ltr so a 500ml bottle should last 27+ weeks

If you use 90ml a week that would make 6 weeks +. lol

If you were to use the same ratio as me per litre (I think I dose a little over) it would be 68ml per week which equates to 23ml (3 x a week) and that will then last 7 weeks +. lol

Get the 10 Litre cannister or whatever the larger size is. Its a big saving on the500ml I know that I think its about £80 whereas the 500ml is about £16 so definate saving in the long run.

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply i think i will stick at 30ml and see how it goes as for what ive spent off the top my head it has to be near three grand at least, but let me tell you something this hobby is cheap compared to what i used to spent on match fishing, before buying any tackle i used to spend at least £80 a week on bait, practice matches, then there was travel to venues which could be north one week then south the next believe me this is cheaper, to give you some idea of what my best 16mtr pole cost i sold it second hand for £1950, so a 10ltr bottle of weed juice at £80 bargain lol regards john.

Most reactions

Back