First Look At My Female Bettas!

When you set-up a sorority, you need LOTS of cover and things to break up the sight lines for the fish.  Heavily planted and by heavily planted I mean VERY heavily planted. 

I say F3 is a young male coming into his finnage. They are beautiful. 

brittgs said:
Oh that is awful for you. I am so sorry.
:(

eaglesaquarium said:
When you set-up a sorority, you need LOTS of cover and things to break up the sight lines for the fish.  Heavily planted and by heavily planted I mean VERY heavily planted.
Noted with thanks.. Will get more soon and fit them in my set up design..

majerah1 said:
I say F3 is a young male coming into his finnage. They are beautiful.
Tks!
Hmm..about F3, she is quite big you see.. maybe the pictures of her is not clear.. its okay! :) I will take note and post a video soon for clearer verification..

Im so sorry for your loss. She was probably my favourite as well... And your tank needs to be like a forest lol

KieranBoyne said:
Im so sorry for your loss. She was probably my favourite as well... And your tank needs to be like a forest lol
A low maintenance forest, is it possible? Haha.. I will try.. Tks.. :p

Now! For a video update!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0yMQIAjSY

How do I arrange more plants to make it into a forest I wonder..? Which part of the space in there should I be putting in the plants without making it too desperate looking! Hmm.. I think now, my tank only looks like a bush! Hahaha!

Floaters would help a lot....

Wisteria, water sprite, java ferns, anubias, etc.... Low tech, low maintenance.

eaglesaquarium said:
Floaters would help a lot....
Wisteria, water sprite, java ferns, anubias, etc.... Low tech, low maintenance.
Floaters! Yes! Will look into it! Tks for the recommendation!

Amazon frogbit.. Is it good? Hmm.. i'm not sure if I can.get those here..

It is.  But there's a lot of other floaters, as well.  Lots of stem plants can actually be allowed to float.  Anacharis, elodea, hornwort, water sprite, wisteria, etc... are all floaters as well.

I am sorry to hear about F5.  It would have been best to have kept that one separate until we could have determined if it was male or female.  That might have been one of the reasons it was picked on so heavily once returned to the tank if it was indeed male.  

When looking at your video I see a couple of issues that will need to be fixed or you are going to have more problems with your stocking.  

#1 -- Your fish F3 is male.  Even though he is calm at the moment does not mean that he will not change into a very aggressive fish OR that the females will not target him.  Considering that he is already missing a good sized hunk out of his anal fin I would say that they are already picking on him.  Also keep an eye on your pure red one.  I can not get a good enough look at that one to be sure whether it is indeed female or a young male plakat.

#2 --  Your tank is in no way planted heavily enough for a sorority of bettas.  You need a lot more plants and decor/hiding places so that the females are not able to see each other all the time.  The more they can see each other, the more aggressive they will be with each other.  I suggest hygrophilia species as they are fast growing and handle lower lighting, crypts, and anubias.  If needed you can use silk plants until live plants take off.  Hiding places like clay pots, pieces of PVC pipe, and slate are good to add as well but it is best to make sure that there is more than one exit if possible so that one female does not corner another female in a hiding place.  To show what I mean by heavily planted -- here is a pic of my last sorority I kept:

I always had big outbreaks of nipped fins and missing scales when I would trim the plants back.

#3 --  Your tank looks a bit small to have cories in there except for the pygmy species (of which I seen one in the video).  I seen at least 3 species of cory cat and only one of those species would be the ones I would recommend keeping in the tank.  Although depending on size (as looks can be deceiving) one of the other species might be ok but by itself (with 6 of the same) not with at least 2 other species.  While cories are one of the few species that might be ok in a sorority, having too many of them will cause the females to "notice" them more which puts them at more risk of getting picked on. 

Eagles
Will look into them.. tks EA..

WB
Thank you for your kind explanations and suggestions..
smile.png

I will look into all the issues stated very seriously.

F3 will be separated and which pure red one are you referrng to? Sorry.. Will take more pics of them and will ask your expertise again..

I will get more plants and hiding caves for them too..

For the cories, I will have to rehome them.. esp the bigger ones.. rehoming them is actually part of my future plan so it will be done rather soon since the girls are in..

Can I ask a question, how do I add new female betta addition(s) to the tank? How do I go about it?

Tks once again..

I'd suggest netting all of the current girls... rearranging the tank a bit - especially like when you are adding new plants, hiding places, etc.

Then reintroduce all the girls, including the newest one, as close to the same time as possible.  There will probably be another 'getting to know you' period for the girls, but it should settle down once they have a heirarchy established.

eaglesaquarium said:
I'd suggest netting all of the current girls... rearranging the tank a bit - especially like when you are adding new plants, hiding places, etc.

Then reintroduce all the girls, including the newest one, as close to the same time as possible.  There will probably be another 'getting to know you' period for the girls, but it should settle down once they have a heirarchy established.
Sounds like a good plan! All the girls in individual containers.. Should I do it straightaway or till I get the plants, caves, etc ready first before I net them out?

*searching for containers!*

Net out before you rearrange (including adding new elements).

Wildbetta said:
I am sorry to hear about F5.  It would have been best to have kept that one separate until we could have determined if it was male or female.  That might have been one of the reasons it was picked on so heavily once returned to the tank if it was indeed male.  

When looking at your video I see a couple of issues that will need to be fixed or you are going to have more problems with your stocking.  

#1 -- Your fish F3 is male.  Even though he is calm at the moment does not mean that he will not change into a very aggressive fish OR that the females will not target him.  Considering that he is already missing a good sized hunk out of his anal fin I would say that they are already picking on him.  Also keep an eye on your pure red one.  I can not get a good enough look at that one to be sure whether it is indeed female or a young male plakat.

#2 --  Your tank is in no way planted heavily enough for a sorority of bettas.  You need a lot more plants and decor/hiding places so that the females are not able to see each other all the time.  The more they can see each other, the more aggressive they will be with each other.  I suggest hygrophilia species as they are fast growing and handle lower lighting, crypts, and anubias.  If needed you can use silk plants until live plants take off.  Hiding places like clay pots, pieces of PVC pipe, and slate are good to add as well but it is best to make sure that there is more than one exit if possible so that one female does not corner another female in a hiding place.  To show what I mean by heavily planted -- here is a pic of my last sorority I kept:

I always had big outbreaks of nipped fins and missing scales when I would trim the plants back.

#3 --  Your tank looks a bit small to have cories in there except for the pygmy species (of which I seen one in the video).  I seen at least 3 species of cory cat and only one of those species would be the ones I would recommend keeping in the tank.  Although depending on size (as looks can be deceiving) one of the other species might be ok but by itself (with 6 of the same) not with at least 2 other species.  While cories are one of the few species that might be ok in a sorority, having too many of them will cause the females to "notice" them more which puts them at more risk of getting picked on. 
Could not have said it better myself. F3 is a young fella and you can tell when he is getting close to the ladies they put their heads down slightly. Letting him know they have no issues but they can and will gang up on him. I am also leaning toward the red being male. 

Most reactions

Back