Firemouth Cichlid Not Eating

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishyboi3033

Reaction score
Yesterday I got a single Firemouth CIchlid and he/she has yet to eat anything. I'm assuming its because it is still adjusting to the new tank and it's new tank mates, but I was wondering if this was normal and what I should look out for. All of my other fish started eating after the first meal I gave them so this was a new issue for me. I read somewhere else that if they dont eat within a few days to pull them out of the tank and into one by themselves so they get used to the food and the owner. And when they start getting more comfortable, to put them back in. Thank you.

Most fish usually start eating within 24 hours of being added to a tank. If the fish came from a tank with different pH & GH to your tank, it will be stressed and take longer. If there are lots of other bigger cichlids in the tank, the new fish will feel intimidated and might take longer to eat.

Give it time, lots of hiding places and make sure the water quality is good, then hope for the best.

Most fish usually start eating within 24 hours of being added to a tank. If the fish came from a tank with different pH & GH to your tank, it will be stressed and take longer. If there are lots of other bigger cichlids in the tank, the new fish will feel intimidated and might take longer to eat.

Give it time, lots of hiding places and make sure the water quality is good, then hope for the best.

He is currently the biggest fish in thank tank, besides a golden dojo loach. He has been hiding behind and inside a piece of driftwood, and under a plant. I think he's just getting comfortable.

He is currently the biggest fish in thank tank, besides a golden dojo loach. He has been hiding behind and inside a piece of driftwood, and under a plant. I think he's just getting comfortable.
Oh, and he's the only Cichlid in there right now.

Do you have a picture on the back of the tank? That can help fish settle in sooner.
Having lots of plants help too and if the tank is really bright, perhaps reduce the light for a few days. :)

Do you have a picture on the back of the tank? That can help fish settle in sooner.
Having lots of plants help too and if the tank is really bright, perhaps reduce the light for a few days. :)
I moved it into a ten gallon that's quite barren by itself for right now so that way he'll get a but more comfortable with me. He has a small log but that's it. Before he had a large piece of driftwood and a ton of plants to swim in. But he stayed in the log for most of it. Should I put him back in the community take? Or should I leave him in the more barren one until he starts eating?

I would put it back in the community tank with lots of plants. The more cover for the fish to hide in, the more secure it will feel and the sooner it should eat. Also fish learn from other fish so if it sees other fish eating, it will be more likely to try the food.

I would put it back in the community tank with lots of plants. The more cover for the fish to hide in, the more secure it will feel and the sooner it should eat. Also fish learn from other fish so if it sees other fish eating, it will be more likely to try the food.
Thank you! I will do this right away

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back