finished cycyling ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

claireroe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How do I know when my tank is finished cycling ? I am really excited about getting some more fish and the local fish store said I could add some more this week but from what I've read on here i should wait another two weeks ! I'm new to this fish thing but i am addicted already ! my tank has been set up for nearly two weeks now , one week without fish and nearly a week with five fish all doing great . Can someone give me a straight answer ? :S

With only one week with fish... I can guarantee your tank isn't ready.

You need to get a water test kit, when ammonia and nitrite is 0, you're ready. And this can take around a month.

It took me 6-7 weeks to cycle a 25 gallon tank with fish, with me doing 10-15% daily water changes. You're not finished cycling until amonia and nitrite levels are 0 and you are showing nitrates. If you don't already have some, get tesing kits and begin testing every day.

I know it's soooo tempting to go out and buy more fish... but wait just a little bit longer..it'll be worth it!

good luck!

Hi..one added note...when your ammonia and nitrite drop to zero, and your nitrate begins to climb, that is when a good 25% water change is due. The accumulating nitrite may cause a significant rise in the nitrate. After that, the nitrate climbs slowly and is less toxic to the fish. Good luck. SH

claireroe said:
thanks , its obvious you can't trust people who work in fish stores already !
Hey! :blink: That's not nice i used to work in my LFS does that mean that i can't be trusted?

A decent LFS would be all about the fish and not about the profit and thankfully i had the plessure of working for madenheads aquatics and most fo the advice they give has been decent.

anyways bac to ur prob u need a test kit and if ur test shows that ur ammonia and nitrite levelts are zero. then u can add fish but don't over do it. if you want to add lots of fish then you can put wast in the water like very very watered down ammonia but there are products outhere that will do it safely.

the web link in my sig should be able to help.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back