Finally a keeper of fish!

Seisage

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So happy to have found this community. Oh, how I miss the heyday of internet forums. Glad to see this one's so active!

I "kept" bettas as a young child, back when I didn't know better. When I did start knowing better, I fought against disinterested parents. So it goes, the classic tale of a larval fishkeeper. Ever since, I've been researching and learning about aquariums as a hobby in and of itself! I love learning and hoarding little pieces of information, and this hobby is an extremely good outlet for that instinct. However, I was never in much of a position to actually get a tank and fish of my own until now, I've found myself thrust—rather violently, I'll say—into the actual hobby of keeping aquariums. I'm having to do some catching up and a bit of additional learning on my feet, but I want to do the very best by the fish that is now under my care, and I'm so happy to be able to continue to learn, grow, and gain experience in this hobby.

This is already quite long, but just a bit of additional information about me personally: I'm a masters student working in marine biology! I have a good working knowledge of marine fish biology, but my specialty is in invertebrates :) If you want to talk marine inverts, please! I love meeting other people who have a passion for them. But yes, I'm new to freshwater! It's a bit of a foreign realm to me. I have experience working in a small local aquarium with saltwater tanks, so I'm continually baffled by the lack of salt. What do you mean you can get water on this thing and not have to worry about it immediately corroding into dust??

Other than aquatic interests, I adore foraging and home canning (primarily with said foraged items lol). I also make art when I have the time and energy. Working on building up my scientific illustration portfolio! I think this new hobby will be a fantastic outlet for that as well.

So happy to meet you all!

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:
Well, marine tanks is another discipline in comparison to freshwater tanks. But both can give a lot of joy. And just know that there are some freshwater fish that can be adapted to salt water.

With you marine water background, you can be a real good asset to this forum.

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:
Well, marine tanks is another discipline in comparison to freshwater tanks. But both can give a lot of joy. And just know that there are some freshwater fish that can be adapted to salt water.

With you marine water background, you can be a real good asset to this forum.
I'm happy to hear that my knowledge might be of some use! I do have to admit that my knowledge and experience with tropical marine fish and reef care is limited. But hey, for those brave enough to attempt a temperate water tank (45-60F), I could probably provide some insights!

Hello and welcome. There are some very knowledgeable people here. Most have a solid grasp of the basics and others are well versed in things you never knew existed in this hobby!

You just so happened to walk in the right door. The Great TFF Forum is great . If you like the forum format then you will be pleased to find that this one is VERY active . Whatever it is that you read here check with me and I’ll let you know if it’s legit . 😉

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back