Fin Rot

Mike&Diana

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It is my second round of treatment for my Betta. I've quarantined him and have begun treating him again with melafix. But now, it doesn't seem to be just his fins that are a problem. His eyes also seem to be bugging out a bit and he's got a white fuzzy patch on his head. He also seems to be sleeping alot and just kind of laying on the bottom of the bowl. RIght now, he is in a bare 1 gallon bowl where he's being treated. What else can I do? And how often should I change the water during this treatment? The instructions say to just do a 25% water change at the end of treatment. BUt should I do it every couple of days instead?

Diana

The white stuff sounds like a fungal infection. I think Melafix is supposed to treat that as well, and the bulging eyes sound like popeye but without a picture of the fish I couldn't say.

Popeye is a sign of poor water quality, often it is uncureable. I would do a 30% water change.

Well, my betta died of his finrot today. This was his second round of treatment with Melafix, and I had also been adding aquarium salts and changing his water. So, I guess I did all that I could! Just so I know in the future, what are the better treatments for finrot and is Melafix one of them? Just wondering in case I have to deal with it again!
Also, is aquairum salt harmful for frogs? My betta was quarantined just in case because I was worried about it harming my frog.
Thanks!

Diana

when one of my previous bettas had body fungus, MelaFix did nothing for him. i bought Mardel medication tablets for freshwater fish, and just put a little chunk into his water since it was only a one gallon. i wish i could say whether it worked or not, because by that time i think it was a little too late and i lost him. :-( but at any rate, MelaFix did heal up a cut he had, quite nicely, but did nothing for his body fungus.

also, on the side of the box for MelaFix it does say that it treats fin and tail rot. i think it's just a matter of catching it early before it really does damage to your poor fishy.

I use a mediation called, " Betta fix remedy 37ml
All natural antibacterial medication for Bettas. For use on wounds, ulcers, mouth fungus and fin and tail rot. Use whenever Bettas exhibit signs of bacterial or fungal disease, such as red ulcers, frayed or torn fins, slimy patches growths. Also helps heal open wounds and tissue damaged by handling, netting and fighting. Promotes rapid re-growth of damaged fins and skin. Contains the healing power of Melaleuca, a variety of Tea Tree."

This has really worked!

BB

ETA (Edited to add): Sorry to see that he died. I hadn't read the whole thread before responding...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back