Fin Rip is Still an Issue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GradyH

Reaction score
A while back I posted about my Betta's fin rip. I tried the suggestions and it has only gotten worse. The damage has moved from his Claudal fin to his Dorsal and one of his Pelvic fins. There is nothing abrasive in the tank to cause the damage. The only thing I could thing of was his water parameters. His pH was very high. It was about 8.0-8.2, and I have since made efforts to lower it. The bag you see floating is some peat pellets. I also have used a pH lowering solution. The current readings are as follows.

pH 7.6
Ammonia between .50 pm - 1.00 ppm
Nitrite .25 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

I believe the reason why I have a slight ammonia and nitrite spike is because I pulled out my filter over 48 hours ago. I did this so I could treat the tank with Kordon Rapid-Cure hoping that it would help with the issue. The bottle says expect results within 48 hours and I haven't seen anything as of now. Thanks.

tVB3vOL.jpg

Pd0eFBk.jpg

Here you can see some of the damage to the dorsal fin. There are three small translucent spots. These were holes that closed up.

nZtflba.jpg

Damage to the claudal fin.

His pH was very high. It was about 8.0-8.2, and I have since made efforts to lower it.

You water PH is what it is, Trying to lower it is causing stress to the fish, If you are serious about lowering PH use reverse osmosis or distilled water and remineralise it.

Also your tank is too bright and it needs way more plants including floating ones.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back