Filtering tap water

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Iā€™ve just had a look at that link, thatā€™s not your water companies water quality report, thatā€™s some environmental group lobbying for something. As someone that works with data all day, Iā€™d be cautious making lots of work ā€œtreatingā€ your tap water unless you know how and where theyā€™ve gathered their data and how they have cut it to give those figures.
That is a correct assement. It lacks any real information or what the EPA limits are. And the red flag is that when I slick on some links I get adds. and information about filtering your water is promiently displayed. It usually the report have a table listing all the contaminants tested for, the measured values, and the EPA limits. For exampole this is the link to my water quality report. Note is is not the best or worst that I have seen.

Hello. I wasn't sure where to post this, hope this is okay. I need advice about filtering tap water.

But first, I want to mention that yes, I know about RO water, but that is not an option for me at the moment. I really hope someone who has either dealt with this before or knows about it can help me.

So here's the thing. I have always used filtered tap water (for years) to do water changes. And I treated the water before adding it. But we had a faucet filter. And now we don't.

I live with my uncle. He bought a Brita water pitcher, & I was using that. But it's small, & it takes 9 hours - literally - to change out a total of 12 gallons. I can't keep doing that. So I decided to get a 2nd pitcher to cut the time down. I looked at 3, & they all do different things (I had thought they were all the same.). I have read that they don't really do anything much for the water, but each of these pitchers say they filter out different things, including certain heavy metals.

So the 3 brands I looked at are Brita, Pur, & Great Value (Walmart brand). If anyone has any advice on these, I would really appreciate it.

On the other hand, I wondered if a filter pitcher was even necessary. I always treat the water before adding it to my tank. And I have tested it (using liquid tests). No Nitrites, Nitrates, or Ammonia. KH, Gh, & pH are a little high, but I can adjust those. With the pitcher, those 3 do go down a little. And of course, I have filters in both aquariums. So do I even need to filter my tap water before adding it to the tank? I would still treat it, of course. Or is filtering better?

As a side note, I looked at the python style thing to change water, but I still don't know if using my tap water is okay. One more thing, there is built up lime in the pipes., which is why we started filtering to begin with.

Sorry this is so long...final note -

I have Guppies, Tetras (not Neons), Mollies, Cories, a loach, & a snail.

Any help is greatly appreciated! And sooner is better, thanks ā˜ŗ
I condition tap water for the tanks. My husband insists upon Britta filtered water for the coffee.

That is a correct assement. It lacks any real information or what the EPA limits are. And the red flag is that when I slick on some links I get adds. and information about filtering your water is promiently displayed. It usually the report have a table listing all the contaminants tested for, the measured values, and the EPA limits. For exampole this is the link to my water quality report. Note is is not the best or worst that I have seen.
Wow, okay

Your water quality report says they treat the water with chlorine, not chloramine so that is good. Chlorine is easier to get rid of.

You have a slight amount of nitrates (less than 1ppm) from agricultural run off but it isn't that high. It's certainly much lower than the UK.

There is chloride but no sodium so not sure about that. I am guessing they didn't list sodium but did list chloride. Sodium chloride being salt and it usually gets measured separately (sodium and chloride).

There is a bit of sulphate, lead, copper and a few other bits that are quite low and nothing much to be concerned about.

There is barium in one of the wells that your water is tested from and that is not good.

Tetrachloroethylene is also a worry.

And there is no fluoride in the water so people in your town probably have soft teeth.

They didn't test for bacteria but there shouldn't be any due to the chlorine in the water.

---------------------
Use a carbon filter to remove some of the nasty stuff.
Thanks, that's a lot of helpful info ā˜ŗ

Your water quality report says they treat the water with chlorine, not chloramine so that is good. Chlorine is easier to get rid of.

You have a slight amount of nitrates (less than 1ppm) from agricultural run off but it isn't that high. It's certainly much lower than the UK.

There is chloride but no sodium so not sure about that. I am guessing they didn't list sodium but did list chloride. Sodium chloride being salt and it usually gets measured separately (sodium and chloride).

There is a bit of sulphate, lead, copper and a few other bits that are quite low and nothing much to be concerned about.

There is barium in one of the wells that your water is tested from and that is not good.

Tetrachloroethylene is also a worry.

And there is no fluoride in the water so people in your town probably have soft teeth.

They didn't test for bacteria but there shouldn't be any due to the chlorine in the water.

---------------------
Use a carbon filter to remove some of the nasty stuff.
Note MCL in that document is the Maximum control limit which is either the federal limit for the state limit and will typically be the low of the two

Most of the chlorine they put in the water has liklyRecacted with the KH in your water so most of it is probablypressent as calcium chloride and Magnesium chloride with some potassium and sodium chloride. All of that is safe and of no concern. they don't list sodium and potassium but the water would test salty if it was hazardous.

Lead, copper, and sulfur levels are all safe and not a surprise. Barium is at the upper control limit of the EPA. Trichloroethylene is a contaminant but it is just ujust barely above 2ppb and below MCL It is also OK.As to Fluoride it doesn't make your teeth soft. it actually makes the harder and more resistent to acid but at the levels listed not hazardous.

The did test for bacteria but was listed ND (not detected) So overall it is decent hard water and is acceptable to use for this for fish that prefer hard water.

Last edited:
Note MCL in that document is the Maximum control limit which is either the federal limit for the state limit and will typically be the low of the two

Most of the chlorine they put in the water has liklyRecacted with the KH in your water so most of it is probablypressent as calcium chloride and Magnesium chloride with some potassium and sodium chloride. All of that is safe and of no concern. they don't list sodium and potassium but the water would test salty if it was hazardous.

Lead, copper, and sulfur levels are all safe and not a surprise. Barium is at the upper control limit of the EPA. Trichloroethylene is a contaminant but it is just ujust barely above 2ppb and below MCL It is also OK.As to Fluoride it doesn't make your teeth soft. it actually makes the harder and more resistent to acid but at the levels listed not hazardous.

The did test for bacteria but was listed ND (not detected) So overall it is decent hard water and is acceptable to use for this for fish that prefer hard water.
Thank you for that info ā˜ŗ

Most reactions

Back