Filter question

FalconStorm

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, my tank is cycled, but fairly new. I managed to get it cycled in three weeks and I've had it for about a month, now. I know that I can't count on anything being stable right now, but I have a question about the filter. I suspect that the cartridge with the charcoal in it needs to be changed, but I'm not sure how often. I'm disinclined to trust the package instructions as the manufacturer is going to want me to change it often so I'll buy their products more, right? ;)

So, I'd like some advice on how often to change the cartridge. Also, the spongy media that has a bunch of my bacteria in it. I know I don't change it, but shouldn't it be rinsed every now and again? How often should I do that and what precautions should I take to avoid killing off too many of the beneficial bacteria?

Also, please keep in mind that I do tend to overstock. I keep up weekly water changes of 20%-25% so it doesn't seem to be much of a problem so far, and I keep a very close eye on my water parameters. Oh yeah...it's a ten gallon tank too. Dunno if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks for any help.

Rinse the sponges in tank water when the flow is noticeably less [edit: not in the tank, syphon some into a bucket and do it there]. The carbon is up to you, I and many others only use carbon when its needed i.e. to get medications out of the tank. carbon is not needed generally.

What filter is it BTW.

keep up the water changes, they are the best way to keep water quality at its best.

Jon

Hmm...I think I still like having the charcoal cartridge in, unless it's going to cause a problem for my tank. I'll just wash the gunk off of it every now and again. The sponge media in my filter isn't really a sponge...more like floss, I guess, and not very thick.

I'm not sure what brand my filter is. It's a power filter for a 10-15 gal tank. I can check what brand it is when I get home. It's the same brand that came with the kit. I got it at Wal-Mart, so I'm sure is a cheap one. I don't have the funds right now to get anything better, but it seems to be doing just fine. Yet another reason I keep a close eye on my water parameters.

While I'm talking about filtration, too, I have another question. That tank is fully cycled, and from what I understand, a lot of that beneficial bacteria is in the substrate. Well, I was kinda wanting to change the substrate to a finer gravel than what I've got because finer gravel is easier to deal with when it comes to plants. (The tank is planted and I'd like more plants in it.) I also have a dojo loach that I think would appreciate a finer substrate. If I change the substrate, will I have to cycle the tank from scratch again or will the bacteria in the filter take care of most of the chemicals and I'll just have to do a mini cycle? Also, when I change the substrate, what should I do with the fish and plants? I have a one gallon aquarium, but it seems awfully cramped for enough fish to stock a 10 gallon, even on a temp basis. Any suggestions?

MOST of the bacteria is in the filter. I have changed substrate without any problems.

The charcoal/carbon, keep it or not? If you want to keep it, it WILL need changing every six weeks or so as the absorbancy decreases, some say that what is absorbed is then leached back into the tank, I think it just stops working, and wont absorb anymore, JMOT.

Jon

what you change depends on what's in your filter

My aquclear filter i've had for 6 months now and still use the same since I got it.

I have a bio-wheel filter where i change the floss/carbon cartridge as it wears out quickly, but most of the bacteria are on the bio-wheel anyway

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back